Question Should I upgrade to Windows 10 on Dell XPS 8500?

Jul 24, 2019
I am running Windows 8.1 on a Dell XPS 8500. I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 but am concerned that Dell is no longer supporting Win10 on this model. Should I upgrade this model to Win10 or look at buying new PC?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Dell is not the supporting entity for Windows 10, Microsoft is.

I have yet to see hardware produced during the Windows 8/8.1 era that doesn't function perfectly well under Windows 10.

You have nothing to lose by upgrading, and doing so is still free. If you don't like the result then you will still have to buy a new machine, but you very well may very much like the result.

jamalie_puran

BANNED
Jul 24, 2019
Thank you for the information mate, well sometime upgrading the computer to windows 10 will work however sometime you might need drivers specific reasons but Dell website doesn't have this driver that you need.

You can definitely upgrade at your own risk but if any issue occurred as it relates to drivers are any other issue.

I would recommend that you only use the supported OS for the system.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Worrying about drivers for Windows 8.1 era, UEFI based systems is a waste of time. They exist.

I haven't had to do a crazy driver search (and, believe me, I've done them) in several years now. The various vendors have finally given MS the vast majority of drivers for inclusion in the library, and Windows 10 is now doing a spectacular job in picking the right ones over 95% of the time.

I won't say an occasional search for a driver is not needed, but it is occasional, not frequent.

jamalie_puran

BANNED
Jul 24, 2019
Worrying about drivers for Windows 8.1 era, UEFI based systems is a waste of time. They exist.

I haven't had to do a crazy driver search (and, believe me, I've done them) in several years now. The various vendors have finally given MS the vast majority of drivers for inclusion in the library, and Windows 10 is now doing a spectacular job in picking the right ones over 95% of the time.

I won't say an occasional search for a driver is not needed, but it is occasional, not frequent.

That is correct bro but as it relates to the compatible drivers for the unit.

Most windows update do cause issues especially if the unit is not compatible.

The drivers from the support site is the ones that are tested with unit from the manfacture, would you prefer third party or the orginal OEM versions?

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
If you wish to split hairs, that's your call.

My unequivocal statement is that any modern hardware, and anything released during the UEFI era qualifies, will run Windows 10 without issue.

The amount of hardware that was never certified for Windows 10 that's actually running it without issue is astounding.