Should I Upgrade to Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, June 29 is almost here. Here comes the big question do I stay with my OS or do I upgrade?

So I currently have windows 8.1, with start8 and all that good stuff to make it feel like windows 7. Haven't seen the start screen since I last did a re-install, and I would like to keep it that way.
If I upgrade, will i be able to bypass all of that?

Since I do have 8.1, I will be able to get a free upgrade.
Is it free forever or do I have to pay something in the future. If so, how much and how long will it last.

Another thing Im concerned about it compatibility. I know it's through windows update and its not like a clean install is needed.
Will all of my installed programs be able to run on windows 10?

As you can see, I don't know much about win 10 :p

Thanks!

Solution
1.Windows 10 has a start menu, if that is your question

2.Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS (like every other Windows OS you've owned)

3.If not all, but most of your programs would be able to run in Windows 10. There are compatibility options, virtualbox, vmware, dosbox are alternatives if your programs don't work

4.Yes, you should upgrade

Reyaz123

Admirable
1.Windows 10 has a start menu, if that is your question

2.Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS (like every other Windows OS you've owned)

3.If not all, but most of your programs would be able to run in Windows 10. There are compatibility options, virtualbox, vmware, dosbox are alternatives if your programs don't work

4.Yes, you should upgrade

Solution
It's July 29 not June 29th.

I do NOT suggest upgrading to windows 10 right after it's available, allow windows to work out any major issues first (if any) then upgrade to windows 10 after 2 months. If your computer is important to you, then this will save you many headaches.

Start10 is available now for windows 10...

woworwow

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
I would say stay with your windows for now. Windows 10 is still in development so, it does have many issues. About the payment system, nobody knows for now but microsoft once said something about making windows a subscription based service. So, maybe in windows 10 you'll have to pay subscription fee. But it's still not confirmed yet. But, i'm afraid that will be the case. They did say windows 10 is the last

Reyaz123

Admirable

Read this here if you are still unsure that it is not free forever http://www.pcworld.com/article/2926086/future-windows-10-upgrades-wont-come-with-sneaky-charges-microsoft-clarifies.html

Quote: "Once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge."

As said above, of course there will be bugs/errors in Windows 10 earlier on but imo it's worth the upgrade as soon as it comes out (allows you to learn about the different features ahead of time)

Thats exactly what I though too. They won't be making more OS', so they'll have to make money somehow.

Maybe they will charge for large scale updates.

Alright. Then it's settled.

Nice of Microsoft to be loyal to their users and not squeeze every penny out of them.

There is one good point that someone did make in the comments below that does concern me:

"My primary concern is with the whole "lifetime of the device" language. I purchased 3 retail copies of Windows 7, as I run three computers in my home, but those machines go through hardware upgrades and sometimes they are outright replaced by new machines. When this happens, that copy of Windows 7 is removed from the old machine and installed on the new one. With the wording they've been using, if I take advantage of the "free" upgrade to Windows 10, it will be treated almost like another Service Pack for Windows 7, not a new OS with a separate product key. If that's the case, what happens to me after that year is up, and I transfer one of my legally purchased Windows 7 copies to a new machine? It sounds like that machine won't be eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade. Or what happens if the hard drive in my existing machine crashes and I have to reinstall Windows 7 from scratch on the same machine after the one-year free upgrade period? Will it remember that computer and know that it qualified for the free upgrade? If Microsoft really wants to impress me, they'll let me obtain full-on Windows 10 product keys to replace the Windows 7 keys I legally purchased. Otherwise, at some point I'll likely have to purchase copies at some point, and all their "free upgrade" bs will be just that."

woworwow

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

This. This is why free windows is bad. Knowing microsoft, they will probably do this.
Another negative point is that more computers will be pre-installed with windows 10. If you ever tried uninstalling windows 8.1 from a laptop, it's a real pain because the UEFI disables legacy devices, windows 10 will do the same thing.

Reyaz123

Admirable

Agreed, for example inexperienced users had issues with Windows 8.1 downgrading back to Windows 7. Microsoft makes it difficult for us at times but regardless if they charge for apps or not, I personally never use them so there's another good reason to upgrade

Edit: I do see them forcing you to update to Windows 10 if you choose to stay on 8 or 8.1 for a while (remember Windows 8 being forced to update to 8.1)

Transferring licenses possibly can be a pain

Reyaz123

Admirable
There are other options but they may not be the best out there. For example, you can create a virtual hard disk/ image of your current version of windows for use on a virtual machine (if you feel like going back and the cd key doesn't work in the first place) http://hyperv.veeam.com/how-to-convert-physical-machine-hyper-v-virtual-machine-disk2vhd/

Like everything else, matter of choice

Well, out of all the input given here. I've decided I will update it, but as many suggested I will wait a bit so MS can patch it.

Also thank you TechyinAZ for the start10 info, I will defiantly use that. I hope they let me use my start 8 key :p

Thanks everyone. I wish I could award more best answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.