[SOLVED] Should I upgrade to Windows 11 before Microsoft says my PC is ready?

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
I have been waiting since the official Windows 11 rollout, and for whatever reason, my PC is not among the first to be selected. Many of my friends and coworkers were fortunate enough to be in the early rollout, but to this day, I get the "you're ready for Windows 11, but Windows 11 isn't ready for you" message in Windows updater.
Now the issue is that I have a brand new PC waiting for me to migrate to, but I do not wish to being the process on Windows 10 only to have the Windows 11 update come halfway. Yes, I realize I could always hold off on updating to Windows 11, but the points is I actually want to update to 11, I just don't want to waste time setting up 10 only to have to redo much of the settings etc... when 11 comes along.
The one possible solution is to force an update. But how good of a decision is this? I mean, if Microsoft wanted my PC updated, it would have rolled it out to me, correct? So is the very fact that Microsoft is saying to me "hold off there buddy, we are still getting things ready for you" mean that it really is premature to do the update and that my PC could be at risk from a premature update that its not yet 100% ready for? Microsoft does warn on its website that updating when you PC is not ready for it is a risk that you sign off on, and which they won't be held responsible for.
Does anyone has any info. on the best course to take? I mean the update could literally come tomorrow and solve all my problems, or it could be weeks/months from now, making the decision a very hard one to make.

Solution
Read that article I posted and you will see what's so terrible about Windows 11. Seems like people are lazy to read here and it's getting tiring to repeat same thing over and over manually for every user here...

I never said Microsoft allowed full control over the OS to users. What I said and what was said in article by the author is that Windows 11 compared to Windows 10 or other previous Windows versions is limited for customizations as much as possible. They took away a lot of things in 11 that you could do in 10 or other versions. Basically with Windows 11 Microsoft said to users: "Screw your preferences and opinions, you will do as we say". In short, Windows 11 is a castrated OS compared to other versions of Windows and on...

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
There is little or no reason to force the upgrade to 11.

Just like with Win 10, MS is NOT rolling this out to all systems at the same time. This roll out will go well into next year.

Just wait until it happens, you're not missing out on anything.
Thanks. So are you saying then that the upgrade to Windows 11 is not as significant as Microsoft themselves have been saying(/implying)? I don't remember all the details, but I think they showed this one teen guy launch a game in Windows 11 and his fried did the same thing in Windows 10, but the Windows 11 machine was so much faster his friend was blown away. And also they have been saying the new "chat in one click" feature is groundbreaking (I tend to agree on this one actually), and that the new O/S brings you closer to what you love. In their more technical ads/literature, I think I recall saying that Windows 11 can squeeze a lot more life out of old machines. Is that mostly hype? If there really is no reason to upgrade to 11, why even bother, I'd honestly rather just stick with 10 and save all the hassle. What I don't want is to have 10 all set up and then find out I have to go to 11 or really ought to go to 11 for the improvements anyway and have to reconfigure my entire desktop and all the settings.

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
Those warnings are just standard pr talk stuff.
It is perfectly ok to upgrade before ms deems your machine ready. It's just a staged rollout and has nothing to do with your machine being actually ready or not.

Also you get to decide for yourself if you want to upgrade or not, do not listen to others if it's need/a good idea/no reason to... etc. - You are the only one that knows, and should have a say, if you want to upgrade or not :)

Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11
And see how you want to upgrde, if you want to. It's super easy and totally safe!

Endre

Reputable
I have been waiting since the official Windows 11 rollout, and for whatever reason, my PC is not among the first to be selected. Many of my friends and coworkers were fortunate enough to be in the early rollout, but to this day, I get the "you're ready for Windows 11, but Windows 11 isn't ready for you" message in Windows updater.
Now the issue is that I have a brand new PC waiting for me to migrate to, but I do not wish to being the process on Windows 10 only to have the Windows 11 update come halfway. Yes, I realize I could always hold off on updating to Windows 11, but the points is I actually want to update to 11, I just don't want to waste time setting up 10 only to have to redo much of the settings etc... when 11 comes along.
The one possible solution is to force an update. But how good of a decision is this? I mean, if Microsoft wanted my PC updated, it would have rolled it out to me, correct? So is the very fact that Microsoft is saying to me "hold off there buddy, we are still getting things ready for you" mean that it really is premature to do the update and that my PC could be at risk from a premature update that its not yet 100% ready for? Microsoft does warn on its website that updating when you PC is not ready for it is a risk that you sign off on, and which they won't be held responsible for.
Does anyone has any info. on the best course to take? I mean the update could literally come tomorrow and solve all my problems, or it could be weeks/months from now, making the decision a very hard one to make.

Hello!

If you want Win11, then you shouldn’t wait for the update!
Upgrading the OS through updates might the lead to errors.

The best way to do it is by downloading the ISO file from Microsoft and doing a clean install.

NOTE:
First you must make sure that your PC meets the minimum Win11 requirements, then prepare your PC for Win11 by tweaking some settings in the BIOS menu:
•Turn off CSM/ Save/ Restart
•Enable Secure Boot/ Save/ Restart
•Enable Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT) *(if you’re on an Intel platform / or find the required setting for AMD)/ Save/ Restart.

I hope this helps...

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
I upgraded and it didn't even last 1 day when I went back to Windows 10 because it had so many flaws... Main reason was that Windows 11 felt like a downgraded and limited version of Windows 10.

Here, look at this article. It shows you flaws of Windows 11:
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/worst-windows-11-features-fix-them

I don't know about others, but I will be definitely skipping Windows 11.
That article is not really good... at all. One of the points is is the: "The Default Wallpaper Sucks" - Come on now.
Most of the things they complain about is small things and just needs adjusting, from the user. - Some good points though, but they drown in such a horrible article.

Win11 is fine and if someone wants to upgrade, let them.

Reactions: Endre

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
That article is not really good... at all. One of the points is is the: "The Default Wallpaper Sucks" - Come on now.
Most of the things they complain about is small things and just needs adjusting, from the user. - Some good points though, but they drown in such a horrible article.

Win11 is fine and if someone wants to upgrade, let them.
Article is very good actually and no, one of the points isn't "the default wallpaper sucks".

Most of the things that are mentioned in the article definitely aren't small things.

Windows 11 isn't fine. It's a disaster OS in the history of Windows. Design is stolen from Apple OS and customization is limited as much as possible and on the top of that it's an ugly OS.

I'll quote my favorite part from this article:

"With Windows 11's UI, Microsoft is like an arrogant chef who, after cooking your dinner, instructs the waiter to remove all the salt and pepper shakers from the table because they don't want you changing the flavor of their dish."

This is exactly what's wrong with Windows 11. Microsoft is like a small dictator in 11 who decides everything for you. Sure, for some casual people who only use Facebook and spend time browsing the Internet, Windows 11 might be fine, but for advanced users it's a failure OS.

Mod Edit - Keep it civil

Last edited by a moderator:

Endre

Reputable
Article is very good actually and no, one of the points isn't "the default wallpaper sucks". That's a dumb statement. Seems like you didn't even read the article or if you did, you didn't understand it.

Most of the things that are mentioned in the article definitely aren't small things (maybe they are for some casual users like you).

Windows 11 isn't fine. It's a disaster OS in the history of Windows. Design is stolen from Apple OS and customization is limited as much as possible and on the top of that it's an ugly OS.

I'll quote my favorite part from this article:

"With Windows 11's UI, Microsoft is like an arrogant chef who, after cooking your dinner, instructs the waiter to remove all the salt and pepper shakers from the table because they don't want you changing the flavor of their dish."

This is exactly what's wrong with Windows 11. Microsoft is like a small dictator in 11 who decides everything for you. Sure, for some casual people who only use Facebook and spend time browsing the Internet, Windows 11 might be fine, but for advanced users it's a failure OS.

Hello!

What’s in Win11 so terrible compared to any previous Microsoft OS (Win10, Win8, Win7, Vista, WinXP, etc.)?

Microsoft never allowed its users to have full control over the OS, Linux does that, but it sucks at other things! (Ask Linus about that!)

Freedom on Windows is middle-ground, between a locked OS like MacOS, and an open-source option as Linux, or BSD.

Just my opinion here...

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Hello!

What’s in Win11 so terrible compared to any previous Microsoft OS (Win10, Win8, Win7, Vista, WinXP, etc.)?

Microsoft never allowed its users to have full control over the OS, Linux does that, but it sucks at other things! (Ask Linus about that!)

Freedom on Windows is middle-ground, between a locked OS like MacOS, and an open-source option as Linux, or BSD.

Just my opinion here...
Read that article I posted and you will see what's so terrible about Windows 11. Seems like people are lazy to read here and it's getting tiring to repeat same thing over and over manually for every user here...

I never said Microsoft allowed full control over the OS to users. What I said and what was said in article by the author is that Windows 11 compared to Windows 10 or other previous Windows versions is limited for customizations as much as possible. They took away a lot of things in 11 that you could do in 10 or other versions. Basically with Windows 11 Microsoft said to users: "Screw your preferences and opinions, you will do as we say". In short, Windows 11 is a castrated OS compared to other versions of Windows and on the top of that it's ugly as hell and I'm not even talking about plagiarism that their designers lacked the ideas and creativity and instead just stole the design from Apple.

One more thing that article missed to mention: Gap between icons in Windows 11 is bigger than in other versions of Windows, which means if you have more folders in explorer, you have more space between them, which makes it ugly and non productive. They also removed OneNote, Timeline, this, that... The only focus for Windows 11 was to steal the design from Apple and simplify OS as much as possible by removing things and taking away customizations from users that had in previous versions of Windows.

D

Deleted member 14196

There is absolutely no compelling reason to upgrade at all. If everything is running fine leave it alone. You can use windows 10 until 2025

Reactions: Dean0919

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
Article is very good actually and no, one of the points isn't "the default wallpaper sucks". That's a dumb statement. Seems like you didn't even read the article or if you did, you didn't understand it.
What are you talking about? It's literally right there, the last point. I quoted it directly. And you say I didn't read it or understand it? Where so you get of?

You act as if you're a gatekeeper. Stop it! And let people decide for themselves. Not everyone needs an article to tell them what they should feel about something.

And I stand by my comment. It's a poor article with poorly written points and yes, one of the points is indeed that the wallpaper sucks... Literally.

Get of your damn high horse!

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
Hello!

Just my opinion here...
Nothing is wrong with win11. He is just part of the hivemind and links to an article instead of forming his own opinions. It happens each time a new win comes out. Fear of change is what it is. And it will happen next time... Then win11 is great and win12 is horrible, here is an article I have no opinion on my own yada yada... And on it goes.

Reactions: Endre

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is wrong with win11. He is just part of the hivemind and links to an article instead of forming his own opinions. It happens each time a new win comes out. Fear of change is what it is. And it will happen next time... Then win11 is great and win12 is horrible, here is an article I have no opinion on my own yada yada... And on it goes.
Again, you don't understand whole point, you just start to sound like a fanboy. When you're given evidence and facts to show you flows and mistakes of OS, but instead you close your eyes and keep shouting that Win11 is great, you sound like a typical fanboy.

Stop what? Telling my opinion about OS? Why? Are we in North Korea where we can't express our thoughts on things? I never forced you to decide what you should do. You like Windows 11? Good for you. No one is stopping you. But don't you dare to tell me what I should say about it and what not!

Yes, one of the reasons was the wallpapers also suck in 11, but how about other reasons? Or let me guess, you didn't even bother to read and acknowledge them. You just read what suited you to use it here for defending your favorite OS.

Oh, how someone dared to say anything bad about your precious Windows 11... Stop being a sensitive snowflake. The one that needs to get off the high horse seems you, dear.

About opinions... I do have my opinions and seems like author of the article also has same opinions as me and a lot of people who dislike Windows 11 for all these reasons. The only person who seems without opinion is you, disregarding all those problems and flaws. Grow up boy and time to start reading and taking criticism instead of being butthurt and a free shill of the company which doesn't even care about you. Fanboyism sucks. I'm done with you.

Last edited:
I upgraded and it didn't even last 1 day when I went back to Windows 10 because it had so many flaws... Main reason was that Windows 11 felt like a downgraded and limited version of Windows 10.

Here, look at this article. It shows you flaws of Windows 11:
https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/worst-windows-11-features-fix-them

I don't know about others, but I will be definitely skipping Windows 11.

Ive been using Win 11 on my Surface Pro 7 for a few weeks and overall I like it, the things listed in that article are mostly things that some people won’t even care about or notice. Now I’m not saying everyone upgrade to Win 11, my laptop and desktop at home are staying Win 10 for some time to come. This is purely driven by not wanting to be dealing with bugs or performance issues you would expect from a new OS. Once it’s more proven I see nothing stopping me switching over.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can we try to keep it civil in here?

as for article, I agree with 8, its too hard to swap defaults now. Stop making us use Edge lol.
rest of them? they aren't so bad, hardly notice a lot of them unless you go looking.
the wallpaper point is silly as who uses default wallpapers?

at op, as you can see, its a bone of contention, some people have no problems with win 11 (me) and others think its terrible. I am not here to argue, I say its up to you. I would wait till you new PC and upgrade it to 11. Less complicated.

Endre

Reputable

I never said Microsoft allowed full control over the OS to users. What I said and what was said in article by the author is that Windows 11 compared to Windows 10 or other previous Windows versions is limited for customizations as much as possible. They took away a lot of things in 11 that you could do in 10 or other versions. Basically with Windows 11 Microsoft said to users: "Screw your preferences and opinions, you will do as we say". In short, Windows 11 is a castrated OS compared to other versions of Windows and on the top of that it's ugly as hell and I'm not even talking about plagiarism that their designers lacked the ideas and creativity and instead just stole the design from Apple.

One more thing that article missed to mention: Gap between icons in Windows 11 is bigger than in other versions of Windows, which means if you have more folders in explorer, you have more space between them, which makes it ugly and non productive. They also removed OneNote, Timeline, this, that... The only focus for Windows 11 was to steal the design from Apple and simplify OS as much as possible by removing things and taking away customizations from users that had in previous versions of Windows.

Hello!

•First of all, Win11 looks better than any other previous Microsoft OS.
•Secondly, the gap between folders, files, or icons, can be rearranged as in Win10.
They’ve done the larger spacing to be easier on mobile devices.
•Thirdly, I’m on Win11 since it was released officially and I never felt the need to go back to Win10.
•4th thing, for users that own a 12th gen Intel platform, Win11 is a must!

I’m not a defender of Microsoft, but this OS is good.
Windows Me, Vista, and 8, have been a lot worse!

Reactions: zesun
Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

Win 11 is nothing but glitz and glamor. But I’m not supposed to express my opinion according to some fanbois

I’ve been using it since it’s been in test stages on virtual machines testing our software before release so I’ve had plenty of real world experience with it to know the differences. I state again there is no compelling reason to upgrade at all

zesun

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2015
can we try to keep it civil in here?
We certainly can. But when people come in here and act high and mighty and use childish downvoting because someone does not agree, then not really.

Hello!

•First of all, Win11 looks better than any other previous Microsoft OS.
•Secondly, the gap between folders, files, or icons, can be rearranged as in Win10.
They’ve done the larger spacing to be easier on mobile devices.
•Thirdly, I’m on Win11 since it was released officially and I never felt the need to go back to Win10.
•4th thing, for users that own a 12th gen Intel platform, Win11 is a must!

I’m not a defender of Microsoft, but this OS is good.
Windows Me, Vista, and 8, have been a lot worse!
I agree with this. Vista especially was a trainwreck! - 8 was not good at all, but it got there.
Win11 is good. It's just those small things that you ahve to adjust, people are not into adjusting at all. I know plenty of people that wont even adjust settings on their screens... they rather live with horrible brightness/contras etc. and complain about it, instead of using less than a minute to change a setting here or there.

The same is true with win 11, clearly, people complain about the smallest things! I know people that refuse to use win11 because they have to enable tpm, despite it taking less than a minute to do so!

And that article mentioned here, only supports the complainers and those not willing to spend minimal amounts of time setting up their machines.

D

Deleted member 14196

Ha ha ha as I remember you were the one that down voted me. That’s rich Because you accuse somebody else of doing it. Don’t jump on other people for expressing their opinion just as you don’t like it

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wonder where all the articles are about win 10 21H2 version update that came out this week. The media attack Microsoft for just releasing a patch. So the 11 worst features thing was to be expected, its sad Tom's felt need to join in but I have no control over front page articles, I am not staff.

asking a forum if its a good time to upgrade will often give you a tilted answer, as I have said before (elsewhere), its only people with problems who come to forums (and the few who answer questions) and you can start to believe its all terrible if you only ever see the problems and not the PC where it all works fine.

D

Deleted member 14196

Sorry, nothing that’s happened has bothered me in the least so I’m sorry if my comments came off that way. My point is we should all be allowed to voice our opinions without being flamed because nobody likes that and it doesn’t do anybody any good

D

Deleted member 14196

After testing all of our products on Windows 11 I can honestly state that in most cases our software runs better on Windows 10 because it’s communication software and we need to pump lots of data points and right now windows 10 is holding the performance edge. I’m coming from my testing perspective when I form my opinion.

I do like the interface for windows 11. in my test environments I always turn off wallpapers and all the fancy glitz. I do this because I like to focus on my work but it also compares apples to apples

I have to test on all the supported Microsoft operating systems and if I’m honest my favorite OS is server 2019 because the server operating systems don’t have lots of garbage going on you have to add the functions that you need. So I always prefer to test with server