Should i upgrade to Windows 8.1

tobelyan

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Hello everyone, i can't decide what to do? i got Windows 7 64bit on my PC, and i am thinking to upgrade to windows 8.1 so please look at my pc specs and tell me should i spent money to upgrade ???

CPU: Core i5 3570K
GPU: Gigabyte R9 280X 3GB 384Bit Windforce rev 2.0
HDD: 2TB seagate Sata 3, 7200RPM 64MB Cache
PSU: 750W CoolerMaster
MB: Gigabyte Z77 (can't remember full name :) )

Solution
How that is shown all depends on the card manufacturer, my XFX 7970 shows as a "Radeon 7900 series" and the drivers are installed just fine. If you didn't have drivers installed/installed correctly then that would say "Standard VGA Adapter". Some microcode on the card determines what is displayed, and the manufacturer was just too lazy to put specifics in.

vortical

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Unless you have a touch screen, the two OS will be functionally identical. You'll end up paying $80 few a few semi interesting/useful apps.

All in all not worth upgrading for, sure i like my Win 8.1 good enough but its not worth $80.

Jaxem

Honorable
Are you having problems with Windows 7? Or just looking for a change? If you're happy with how the PC is running, there's no reason to spend more money on the OS. There are little to no performance advantages at the moment with Windows 8.1, though that will likely change in the future as the new DX versions are released.

jdcranke07

Honorable
If you have wireless adapters connected for internet then stay with 7. Microsoft is not going to release compatible drivers for network adapters as they are relying on the manufacturers of said devices to release them. I installed 8 a year ago and 8.1 two months ago and I have to hardline my PC unless I go back to 7. Plus windows 9 is rumored to be released later this year or next year.

tobelyan

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014

no i am cool with my Windows 7, just have some doubt that my video card driver not installed correctly, just look at device manager in the screenshot. My VideoCard is R9 280X but it shown with series.
Untitled.png

Jaxem

Honorable
How that is shown all depends on the card manufacturer, my XFX 7970 shows as a "Radeon 7900 series" and the drivers are installed just fine. If you didn't have drivers installed/installed correctly then that would say "Standard VGA Adapter". Some microcode on the card determines what is displayed, and the manufacturer was just too lazy to put specifics in.

Solution