Should I Upgrade to Windows 8 (PC Gamer)?

xtobymc

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013
I am a PC gamer and I am currently running my PC with Windows 7. I have recently been having a look at Windows 8, but I'm just not sure whether I want to make the upgrade. My main worry is the compatibility with my current games, and whether they'd all work on Windows 8. I only became a PC gamer back in January, so I don't have a list of 1000 games dating back to 2000 or anything. In fact, I can list my games here and you guys can hopefully let me know if they're compatible; Minecraft, TF2, League of Legends, Guild Wars 2, Fifa 13, BF3, PlanetSide 2, Borderlands 2, CS:GO, Black Ops 2, Mark of the Ninja, Metro 2033, F1 2012, Grid 2, The Witcher 2 and Tribes Ascend.

These games aren't too old, so I assume they should be alright with Win 8. Also, if I make the upgrade, will my games, saves and programs all be transferred over? Or will I have to reinstall/download everything all over again? My games in total are probably 100GB+ and I don't fancy downloading that all again, even though I do have fibre optic broadband. On the other hand, a fresh install of Win 8 might also do my PC good.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

UKImperium

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
I don't have Windows 8 myself but from what I've read and seen on the internet, you'll only gain a few FPS. I don't think you'll have much problems with compatibility. Are you only looking at Windows 8 for gaming?

You should be fine, but personally if your on windows 7 now I would stay. Windows 8 is no fun on a desktop, it's bearable if you get some of the software floating around that makes it act more like 7 but the two different interfaces make no sense and just get in the way.

xtobymc

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

No, I use the PC for many other things too. The only reason I feel strong towards making the upgrade is because I am a fan of simplistic design, and I like the way Windows 8 looks in all honesty. It is also a fairly cheap upgrade which only costs £40-50, which seems pretty good to me. My PC running on Windows 7 current can max out most games and still achieve 60fps, so fps was never the issue, it was just compatibility.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You can Google some pretty good reviews on compatibility (which is fine) and performance comparisons (which is about even), but the final choice will be up to you. Do you really want to use an interface that looks like your phone? Remember, it's like using your mouse on your touch screen phone. I had Win8 on my desktop and on a tablet. The key word there was "had".

xtobymc

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

It's a difficult choice with Windows 8, as it's like marmite, you either love it or you hate it. Personally I like the look of it, and the animations and simplistic design seem appealing. However, like many people have said in reviews, a lot of it can be needless on a desktop and simply get in the way. Perhaps there's a way to test Windows 8 in a virtual machine and get an idea of what it's like first?

If your a fan of simplicity stay with 7, 8 isn't simple it's moronic. I personally don't get on my computer to stare at my desktop I tend to have things open or play games.

IwinFTW

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Windows 8.1 is coming out very soon, and packing new features like a Start Button (forget this and keep using Start is Back), as well as boot to desktop. So, overall it's a promising upgrade, and I'd buy Windows 8 now that I can avoid Modern (or Metro, if you like) for good.

xtobymc

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

That's what I was thinking too. It is possible to get a start button for the desktop mode of Windows 8 now, so even if I just ignored the metro interface it would still be like using Windows 7, yet simpler, faster and with some new cool features.

TRENDING THREADS