Should I upgrade

abelon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
I have a gtx 670 2gb and I'm considering getting a gtx 970. I have an i5 2500k as well. Is it worth the upgrade or will I get minimal improvements? The 670 is factory oc'd from gigabyte.

Solution
I can't really give a solid answer as to whether you will see the benefit unlesss I know what resolution you play at. If you only play at 1600x900, then you would never see the benefit as most games can be maxed out by a 670 at that resolution because the refresh rate of 60hz would never be able to show anything higher than 60 fps. ALso, If you only play older or less demanding titles, you really won't see much of a benefit as a 670 is still a very capable card. While the 970 is a much faster card, I would need more information to tell you whether you would see the performance benefits.

I mean, As I see it, Both a rifle and a bazooka will kill a dear. The only question is, Why would you need an overpriced bazooka to do a job that a...

TStahler

Distinguished
What games do you play and what resolution do you play at? While a GTX 970 would be a better card than your 670 GTX, Unless you are playing at higher resolutions above 1080p, You won't use the extra vRAM up so much since your older i5 might bottleneck the new card.

TStahler

Distinguished
I can't really give a solid answer as to whether you will see the benefit unlesss I know what resolution you play at. If you only play at 1600x900, then you would never see the benefit as most games can be maxed out by a 670 at that resolution because the refresh rate of 60hz would never be able to show anything higher than 60 fps. ALso, If you only play older or less demanding titles, you really won't see much of a benefit as a 670 is still a very capable card. While the 970 is a much faster card, I would need more information to tell you whether you would see the performance benefits.

I mean, As I see it, Both a rifle and a bazooka will kill a dear. The only question is, Why would you need an overpriced bazooka to do a job that a much cheaper rifle could do? I suppose that it just depends on your needs so to speak. But, I would just try to save money where you can. You could probably sell your 670 for about $200 on Ebay and then use that money towards a new 970 if that floats your boat, so to speak.

Solution