Should I upgrade?

Eyeball07

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014
I just recently came into some funds and was wondering if I should sell my current computer (used for about a month) and build a new one with an i5 4590 3.7 ghz processor and a gtx 970 (or 980 if the price goes down on Black Friday.
Also, how much do you think I can get for my current build.

Current specs:
Gigabyte r9 280x rev 2.0
Amd Fx-6300
Gigabyte Ga-78lmt-usb3
Seasonic 620 s12ii power supply
Hyper 212 Plus cpu cooler
Corsair N200 mid tower case
1tb WD blue internal hdd
8gb (2x4gb) g.skills ripjaws x 1333mhz ram

Solution
I'm really not sure but owning it for a month, selling it at used prices then building a new rig at retail doesn't sound like a great investment to me. I would just enjoy the rig you have now, you should be able to play just about any game at high settings, and when you can no longer do that then you can just pop in a new video card.

Use your money to buy games, theres about a million of them about to come out.

BustaRhymes

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
I'm not sure you would see very much of a jump personally. the fx 6300 should be fine if you overclock it a little and the 970 isnt really that much stronger than a 280x.

If I were you I'd wait to see what AMD launches in Febuary or wait and see what Nvidia's response to it is. AMD is claiming they have something better than 980 coming out in Febuary.

The short answer is yes, the long answer is no. At least not yet.

Here is the reason, your system does pretty well now at everything, and while you would notice a big jump in terms of gaming performance (about a 25% increase, more if you overclock) and in a lot of other tasks the Intel system will physically feel and seem to be faster.

The reason why not to yet, is because Intel is expected to have the new Broadwell CPUs out by the end of the year, though you may not actually get many options until around February on desktop systems. Broadwell will have at least a small increase in performance, and a pretty good sized drop in power consumption, and heat as a result. It would be better to wait and buy that, but even if you decide to buy Haswell instead at that time, the prices will drop more on Haswell CPUs so you will get the best deal.

Same pretty much goes for the GPU. Nvidia has more cards coming of no real consequence to the system you are looking at, but what is important is AMD is expected to release their new GPUs with better performance and power consumption and less heat soon with estimates ranging from December to March typically. While the Nvidia GTX 970 still might well be the best choice to go with as it has amazing performance and power consumption and cost, the cost should at least drop a little bit more since AMD will be more competitive with them.

Long story short, you are best to wait and buy when these parts come in. Probably best to go in stages too, like buy the Intel CPU when they come out and sell your old motherboard and CPU, but keep the GPU. Then trade up to a new GPU when the AMD R9 300 series comes out. This should get you the best system with the most performance for the lowest cost.

Eyeball07

Reputable
Oct 11, 2014

BustaRhymes

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
I'm really not sure but owning it for a month, selling it at used prices then building a new rig at retail doesn't sound like a great investment to me. I would just enjoy the rig you have now, you should be able to play just about any game at high settings, and when you can no longer do that then you can just pop in a new video card.

Use your money to buy games, theres about a million of them about to come out.

Solution