Should I upgrade

Thinz93

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017
Hey there

I have a stock i7 2700k CPU and was wondering how big of an increase in performance (Gaming and video editing) an upgrade would bring?

My system:
- CPU: Intel Core i7-2700k
- CPU-cooler: Corsair H55 Hydro Series
- Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45, S-1155, Will not allow for OC
- RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 16GB
- GPU: Asus Strix-GTX1070
- SSD: Samsung SSD 840 PROSeries 256GB 2.5”
- HDD: WD Desktop Blue 1TB
- Powersupply: XFX ProSeries Core Edition 550w PSU
- Monitor: BenQ 24” XL2420Z

I have considered the new Kaby Lake i7-7700K in combination with the Asus Strix Z270G (I have a Micro-atx case) and DDR4 ram, but will it bring an considerable % increase in performance?

Thank you.

Solution
There really is only a slight percentage of performance improvement through five generations of processors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhuC8Tf9i3I

I have an intel core i5 2500k overclocked, paired with a reference gtx 1070 and I've experienced little to no bottlenecking playing these games:
GTA V
DOOM
H1Z1
Generally I get a stable fps over 100. However, I can physically see random fps dips that lead me to suspect the cpu is rarely holding back the gpu, but I can't physically notice any performance decrease, as the 1070 has basically revitalized my gaming system as a whole. All of those games performed exceptionally well using my 6 year old i5.
Because you've upgraded your gpu to the 1070, there's no reason you can't get 2-3 more...
i7-7700K + GTX 1070 --> no bottlenecks / better performance
i7-2700K (non OC) + GTX 1070 --> high chances of bottlenecking the GPU performance (esp. on CPU-demanding apps)

Definitely upgrade to a new CPU/Z-MB/DDR4 RAM. It will have SIGNIFICANT performance increase compared to your current rig.

Just a suggestion. I would wait for the Ryzen release this month before upgrading. By then, if the Ryzen's reviews and real-world benchmarks are up to par with price/performance as it was advertised, then you can have the option to go for an AMD upgrade. If the price/performance of Ryzen is not, then proceed with the Intel upgrade (hopefully by then prices have slightly dropped).

There really is only a slight percentage of performance improvement through five generations of processors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhuC8Tf9i3I

I have an intel core i5 2500k overclocked, paired with a reference gtx 1070 and I've experienced little to no bottlenecking playing these games:
GTA V
DOOM
H1Z1
Generally I get a stable fps over 100. However, I can physically see random fps dips that lead me to suspect the cpu is rarely holding back the gpu, but I can't physically notice any performance decrease, as the 1070 has basically revitalized my gaming system as a whole. All of those games performed exceptionally well using my 6 year old i5.
Because you've upgraded your gpu to the 1070, there's no reason you can't get 2-3 more years out of that system.
A side note, with Ryzen coming out and the chance of price to performance fluctuating, now really isn't a good time to purchase new hardware.
To answer your question it really doesn't justify spending over $1000 on new hardware to only get a negligible gain in performance.

Solution

Thinz93

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

Thank you for the reply. I will calm down the urge to upgrade and wait to see how Ryzen performs.

Thinz93

Prominent
Feb 28, 2017

Thanks for the reply and the description of your situation. I will wait and see how Ryzen performs before considering the upgrade again.