Mar 8, 2019
So i've been on the edge about upgrading my CPU, question is, is it worth it? should i even upgrade or just build a whole new setup?
---------------------------------------------------
Windows 10 pro 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC
MSI Gaming motherboard (don't know the exact model, pls let me know how i can find out)
12GB RAM
CoolerMaster Elite 550w ver.2
Acer 144hz Monitor 1920x1080
--------------------------------------------------
I've recently upgraded to the GTX 1060 6GB SC from a GTX 750 Ti.
I'm getting way better performance and better frame rates, but I somehow feel like I can be getting more and that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU potential?
running Apex Legends and other similar games, my CPU usage according to MSI afterburner chart is shooting way above 90% and even though my settings are optimized in my Nvidia control panel and also windows settings to my GPU being prioritized.

Any type of help and feedback would be much appreciated!!!!

Solution
Actually, as it stands you have a very balanced system . You say somehow you should be getting more. Do you mean more FPS? Is there particular games you are referring to?

Well, the answer to that is not really worth it tp upgrade your current set up. You already have a capable 4c/8t CPU that drives that level of card perfectly well at 1080p. Even if you stuck a better CPU /upgrade in there you will still be limited by the GPU. I've an EVGA GTX1060 6gb and it will typically play all games at 1080p at high//ultra settings at a steady 75fps/hz. If i changed CPU I 'may' get an increase in FPS, but you are talking just a few FPS, and it would be game dependent. Your combo is steady for another 1-2 years IMO. If you want more FPS, it's...
Actually, as it stands you have a very balanced system . You say somehow you should be getting more. Do you mean more FPS? Is there particular games you are referring to?

Well, the answer to that is not really worth it tp upgrade your current set up. You already have a capable 4c/8t CPU that drives that level of card perfectly well at 1080p. Even if you stuck a better CPU /upgrade in there you will still be limited by the GPU. I've an EVGA GTX1060 6gb and it will typically play all games at 1080p at high//ultra settings at a steady 75fps/hz. If i changed CPU I 'may' get an increase in FPS, but you are talking just a few FPS, and it would be game dependent. Your combo is steady for another 1-2 years IMO. If you want more FPS, it's totally worth considering a platform upgrade along with GPU. You have a 144hz screen. You have no chance of hitting 144hz/fps with your current set up (in AAA/New games).

Reactions: Neems_gg
Solution
You aren't bottlenecking. You also aren't leaving much for performance on the table. What you have is a pretty well balanced system. On average, you are getting pretty much all the performance you have out of your CPU and GPU. You might be able to put something like a GTX 1070 or GTX 1660Ti into the system and gain a little more performance, but at that point the CPU will actually be the bottleneck.

As it sits the path to more performance leads to a motherboard/CPU/RAM upgrade, as well as a GPU upgrade. The lowest reasonable upgrade is to something like an i5 8400 or a Ryzen 5 2600. That will put you in the 30% performance increase ballpark, which is where you start to actually feel the performance difference. Something like the i7 8700K or Ryzen 7 2700x will be a 50% performance advantage over your 3770. For a good PU upgrade, the GTX 1660Ti is a good way to go, and anything in RTX land would be great. Radeon VII is an option, but not one I wholeheartedly recommend, however, if you are looking at the GTX 1660Ti, Vega 56 is a decent competitor.

Mar 8, 2019

Well, the answer to that is not really worth it tp upgrade your current set up. You already have a capable 4c/8t CPU that drives that level of card perfectly well at 1080p. Even if you stuck a better CPU /upgrade in there you will still be limited by the GPU. I've an EVGA GTX1060 6gb and it will typically play all games at 1080p at high//ultra settings at a steady 75fps/hz. If i changed CPU I 'may' get an increase in FPS, but you are talking just a few FPS, and it would be game dependent. Your combo is steady for another 1-2 years IMO. If you want more FPS, it's totally worth considering a platform upgrade along with GPU. You have a 144hz screen. You have no chance of hitting 144hz/fps with your current set up (in AAA/New games).
first of all, thank you for replying! I figured the system was good as it is, not having major issues anymore when it comes to frames and what not, I guess I just really wanted more. all games i play run really smooth, CS:GO, LoL, Blackout, Fortnite, Apex Legends. Right now i'd say i play Apex Legends the most. now with some auto exec, videoconfig settings applied to put everything max low for max FPS, i can hit 200-300 in most areas but obviously dips alot during fights, etc but i do stay above 100+ consistently, but yes I really wanted to atleast keep a consistent 144 to match my refresh rate. On optimized settings (med-high) the game still runs smooth but FPS is obviously alot lower, but consistent 65+ FPS at all times. I will be keeping the system as it is and just save up for a brand new better, and faster system! thanks again for your feedback

Mar 8, 2019
You aren't bottlenecking. You also aren't leaving much for performance on the table. What you have is a pretty well balanced system. On average, you are getting pretty much all the performance you have out of your CPU and GPU. You might be able to put something like a GTX 1070 or GTX 1660Ti into the system and gain a little more performance, but at that point the CPU will actually be the bottleneck.

As it sits the path to more performance leads to a motherboard/CPU/RAM upgrade, as well as a GPU upgrade. The lowest reasonable upgrade is to something like an i5 8400 or a Ryzen 5 2600. That will put you in the 30% performance increase ballpark, which is where you start to actually feel the performance difference. Something like the i7 8700K or Ryzen 7 2700x will be a 50% performance advantage over your 3770. For a good PU upgrade, the GTX 1660Ti is a good way to go, and anything in RTX land would be great. Radeon VII is an option, but not one I wholeheartedly recommend, however, if you are looking at the GTX 1660Ti, Vega 56 is a decent competitor.
so basically as it is... that's the absolute most I can get from the setup correct? also, yes that makes alot of sense with performance gains being not worth it at the moment even upgrading to like you said maybe a i7 8700K. I most definitely should keep the system as it is and run it for as long as i can until I save up for a giant upgrade setup! appreciate you taking time to reply and help out!

first of all, thank you for replying! I figured the system was good as it is, not having major issues anymore when it comes to frames and what not, I guess I just really wanted more. all games i play run really smooth, CS:GO, LoL, Blackout, Fortnite, Apex Legends. Right now i'd say i play Apex Legends the most. now with some auto exec, videoconfig settings applied to put everything max low for max FPS, i can hit 200-300 in most areas but obviously dips alot during fights, etc but i do stay above 100+ consistently, but yes I really wanted to atleast keep a consistent 144 to match my refresh rate. On optimized settings (med-high) the game still runs smooth but FPS is obviously alot lower, but consistent 65+ FPS at all times. I will be keeping the system as it is and just save up for a brand new better, and faster system! thanks again for your feedback

Yes, thats' it. In my mind you are still pretty good for what you do. Nothing stands out as being in dyer need of replacement. If course it's nice to have bells and whistles and rip roaring hardware that can eek every last measure of performance out. Thats mostly bragging rights though.

IMO, like we've suggested, keep what you have, and do a bigger better upgrade in a year or two :)

Happy gaming :)

Mar 8, 2019
The ONLY thing that I would consider updating is your PSU! That particular PSU is a fire waiting to happen! Just look on youtube for examples!
I leave my pc on like a week straight sometimes i've been fine. fingers crossed

could you link me a specific video? only thing i've seen were reviews