[SOLVED] Should I upgrade?

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Ok, so I recently built a gaming build a couple months ago, I got an intel i5-9600k, I was pondering on upgrading to a i7-7600k. But then I took heard of the Ryzen 3rd generation. They completely flew under my radar when I was looking for a cpu in the first place, because I didn’t even consider them. No I’m eyeing the Ryzen 7 3700x. It’s got a slightly lower ghz, but that doesn’t matter too much because it’s got the same amount of cores, and about twice as many threads as the i7-9700k, and a lot of cache, even at a lower ghz, they apparently beat intel by a long shot. I would upgrade, but that would have me change a lot about my build, I would have to sell my cpu, motherboard, and cpu cooler (Could I sell them all together and not even risk trying to take them apart, I kept all the original packaging...). Anyway, that’s a big change, and would be very expensive. Is it worth the upgrade? Or should I wait and see what intel and Ryzen bring to the table next year? Idk much about this so I decided to ask the experts! I do a lot of gaming and streaming.

Last edited:
Solution
Is your current setup not doing the job?
If so, in what way?
What are the rest of your specs?
Have you overclocked your 9600K? If so, to what level?
What resolution do you play at?
Do you plan on a monitor upgrade?

In general, if your work is of a production type, you can get better batch run times with lots of cores/threads.
For that, ryzen is a very good deal.

If your work is primarily gaming, then consider the types of games you play.
If they are sims, mmo, or strategy games, the single thread performance is most important.
If you play multiplayer games many threads are good.
Unless you've noticed something during streaming, CPU overloaded etc, stick with what you got. Not worth the money.
Ryzen 3000 = Gen 2. It is weird. Ryzen 1000-series = 1st gen, 2000-series = Gen+
Not quite.
Ryzen 3000 is the third generation of Ryzen processors, which is called zen 2. It is still the third gen.
Ryzen 1000 is First gen, Zen 1 architecture
Ryzen 2000 is Second gen, Zen+ architecture
Ryzen 3000 is Third gen, Zen 2 architecture

Is your current setup not doing the job?
If so, in what way?
What are the rest of your specs?
Have you overclocked your 9600K? If so, to what level?
What resolution do you play at?
Do you plan on a monitor upgrade?

In general, if your work is of a production type, you can get better batch run times with lots of cores/threads.
For that, ryzen is a very good deal.

If your work is primarily gaming, then consider the types of games you play.
If they are sims, mmo, or strategy games, the single thread performance is most important.
If you play multiplayer games many threads are good.

Solution