Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 cpu cooler
HK ASUS Prime Z270-P motherboard
CPU Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz LGA1151 Socket
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Dual fan - 6GB GDDR
Corsair Vengeance Lpx 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
SSD WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB M.2
HDD 4TB
550W PSU

Im considering to upgrade the follwing parts. the cpu to an ryzen 5 3600, the motherboard to MSI b450 tomahawk max, the psu to Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 Full modular, and the ram to corsair vengeance 3200 mhz 16 gb. Will this be compatible and is it worth it? All feedback is much appreciated.

Solution
the ram upgrade is actually a very good idea, the faster memory wont be a big upgrade (unless you move to ryzen in the future) but 16 gigs of ram is a good idea.

and getting a quality power supply is very good
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/
here is a tier list to help you decide which one to get (applies to all wattages, tiered by series)
if your current 550w is a no name brand, you should replace it.

as for the board and cpu, its honestly not worth it. that cpu is good enough for gaming.
the ram upgrade is actually a very good idea, the faster memory wont be a big upgrade (unless you move to ryzen in the future) but 16 gigs of ram is a good idea.

and getting a quality power supply is very good
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40/
here is a tier list to help you decide which one to get (applies to all wattages, tiered by series)
if your current 550w is a no name brand, you should replace it.

as for the board and cpu, its honestly not worth it. that cpu is good enough for gaming.

Solution

TheDarkPleco

Honorable
Jun 26, 2015
I personally don't think an upgrade is worth it. This system is plenty good for gaming and the biggest thing you could do for it is add more RAM. The CPU and motherboard being upgraded won't do much for you at all. The GPU being upgraded might, but you already have one that is quite substantial for 1080p and even 1440p

I'll disagree that an upgrade isnt worth it. The 6600k is getting old and tired. While not terrible by any means, it's still only a 4c/t cpu. Meaning most newer games will max it out and cause stuttering. If the amd upgrade is within your budget, I say go for it.

You could certainly grab some ram first and see if it helps. But the cpu will still hold you back, imo.

I had my 6600k oced to 4.5, with 16gb of ram, and still saw plenty of stutter and fps drops in a lot of newer titles.

andreaskastet

Commendable
May 29, 2018
I'll disagree that an upgrade isnt worth it. The 6600k is getting old and tired. While not terrible by any means, it's still only a 4c/t cpu. Meaning most newer games will max it out and cause stuttering. If the amd upgrade is within your budget, I say go for it.

You could certainly grab some ram first and see if it helps. But the cpu will still hold you back, imo.

I had my 6600k oced to 4.5, with 16gb of ram, and still saw plenty of stutter and fps drops in a lot of newer titles.
My cpu is alsmost at 100% all the time, and i can see that on heavy cpu games, my games hitches and shows very low frames. I forgot to write 2*8 so i have 16gb ram. My psu is an CX550. is that a good one? And want to upgarde ram speed because ryzen cpus is very good with high ramspeed.

andreaskastet

Commendable
May 29, 2018
I personally don't think an upgrade is worth it. This system is plenty good for gaming and the biggest thing you could do for it is add more RAM. The CPU and motherboard being upgraded won't do much for you at all. The GPU being upgraded might, but you already have one that is quite substantial for 1080p and even 1440p
My cpu is alsmost at 100% all the time, and i can see that on heavy cpu games, my games hitches and shows very low frames. I forgot to write 2*8 so i have 16gb ram. My psu is an CX550. is that a good one? And want to upgarde ram speed because ryzen cpus is very good with high ramspeed.