[SOLVED] Should i upgrade?

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
I7-2600k h61m-e 16gb ram ddr3 1333mhz gtx 1060 6gb

Should i upgrade to ryzen 5 2600 a320m pro4 16gb ddr4 2666mhz ? It will cost me around 233$, but i can sell the old parts and get some money back.

Is it worth it? And if it is then when should i consider upgrading?

Solution
You should consider upgrading when your current setup no longer is doing the job.
Or when you have a sufficient budget and don't mind spending it.

For gaming, I think you are reasonably well balanced now between cpu and gpu.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you want a cpu upgrade, you will also need a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.
$233 may not be a sufficient budget for that.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I would disagree with maxamillionfeettall. There's little difference in terms of performance of an a320 mobo or a higher end if you are not overclocking like crazy. I've brought a gigabyte ds3h, Ryzen 2600+, and 2666 memory and by the time I look to upgrade in 2-3 years from now memory type cpu and mobo would be different anyways.

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
I would disagree with maxamillionfeettall. There's little difference in terms of performance of an a320 mobo or a higher end if you are not overclocking like crazy. I've brought a gigabyte ds3h, Ryzen 2600+, and 2666 memory and by the time I look to upgrade in 2-3 years from now memory type cpu and mobo would be different anyways.
I got adviced to get atleast b350 , 3000mhz ram, skip 2600 and get r5 3600 instead. What about that? Best gpu that i can upgrade to and avoid bottleneck is gtx 1660, with that cpu i'll be able to get 1080 and not worry about bottleneck. 3600 costs 60$ more than 2600 so its not a bad deal.

MoronicBat

Reputable
Aug 19, 2019
Also iam not planning to oc, so i'll just save money on mobo

I got adviced to get atleast b350 , 3000mhz ram, skip 2600 and get r5 3600 instead. What about that?
The b350 is the first iteration of the boards and have quite poor power delivery systems compared to many b450 boards.

The way you worded your original post made it seem like you were buying a bundle somewhere, like a used reseller or a bud. Are you just putting builds together then? If so, where are you located and what is your budget range?

The gpu doesn't bottleneck the cpu in the way you're thinking. Pretty much any gpu will work fine without frame drops, even if it's a low end model. It's usually when the cpu is too weak to provide info to the gpu that it frame drops and "bottlenecks".

You should consider upgrading when your current setup no longer is doing the job.
Or when you have a sufficient budget and don't mind spending it.

For gaming, I think you are reasonably well balanced now between cpu and gpu.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you want a cpu upgrade, you will also need a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.
$233 may not be a sufficient budget for that.

Solution