[SOLVED] Should i upgrade?

May 18, 2022
Hello everyone,
lately I've been thinking about upgrading my r5 3600 to a zen 3 cpu (maybe a 5700x) because i am starting to do some heavier work and sometimes it seems like my cpu isn't enough.
I started working more with Autodesk's Inventor and blender, and even in windows it sometimes slows down. I've started noticing this like 3 months ago thinking nothing of it since it was just sometimes and didn't disturb me much, but little by little it's starting to bug me more and more, especially in league and other games i get a lag like this and either i miss a kill or die. Also when I am working with inventor and blender it seems fine for like 10-15 minutes but when I start doing more and more it gets slower and slower.
Everything is fine by the way, nothing's wrong with the pc otherwise (I always have task manager and HwInfo on to check if something's going on). Bios is updated, firmwares, widnows, chipset updated aswell, gpu drivers are fine aswell.

Also I want something that will last me a long time looking forward, since I am also a gamer and i like to play at high presets just on 1080p cuz i don't wanna spend money on another monitor just yet, but in the future i'd like to play on 1440p.
So i wanted to ask if my cpu is enough and if it's just my imagination that it sometimes gets slower . And if that's the case for what cpu should i look? (also i kind of have a limited budget, if i didn't i would've already upgraded to AM5)

Existing setup:
Mobo: ASUS TUF B550M-PLUS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 (overclocked but stable)
RAM: 32Gb HyperX Fury CL16 3200 MHz (4x8Gb sticks)
GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ 6650XT (overclocked but stable)
DRIVES: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250Gb , Seagate Baracuda 2TB, 500Gb
PSU: Corsair TX850M

Solution
If you believe your pc is slowing down in blender, what is your cpu temperature when this happens? Are you thermally throttling?

Your best option for blenderand your current motherboard is the 5900x, then 5800x and then the 5700x. Any of these cpu's will be an improvement in blender and gaming.

One thing that is difficult to do is populating 4 RAM slots with Ryzen cpu's and maintaining performance compared to just two sticks.

The 5700x will require a good cpu cooler, the AK500 would suitable. The 5800x and escpecially the 5900x require very good cooling to prevent thermally throttling under a workoad such as blender. The Noctua D15, Peerless Assassin 120 may or may not tame a 5900x under full load, you'd have to Google to see best...
If you believe your pc is slowing down in blender, what is your cpu temperature when this happens? Are you thermally throttling?

Your best option for blenderand your current motherboard is the 5900x, then 5800x and then the 5700x. Any of these cpu's will be an improvement in blender and gaming.

One thing that is difficult to do is populating 4 RAM slots with Ryzen cpu's and maintaining performance compared to just two sticks.

The 5700x will require a good cpu cooler, the AK500 would suitable. The 5800x and escpecially the 5900x require very good cooling to prevent thermally throttling under a workoad such as blender. The Noctua D15, Peerless Assassin 120 may or may not tame a 5900x under full load, you'd have to Google to see best options.

Either way, any of those three cpu's will be a nice improvement.

Solution
May 18, 2022

The 5700x will require a good cpu cooler, the AK500 would suitable. The 5800x and escpecially the 5900x require very good cooling to prevent thermally throttling under a workoad such as blender. The Noctua D15, Peerless Assassin 120 may or may not tame a 5900x under full load, you'd have to Google to see best options.

Either way, any of those three cpu's will be a nice improvement.
I am actually not thermally throtling i have a Arctic LF 240 with the seals replaced since my unit had the faulty one.
And i know it's difficult with 4 sticks of ram but i do actually have better performance and my cpu just somehow handles 4 sticks better than just 2
I was actually thinking of going 5700x but i do hope that prices in my country will drop more cuz of the 7000x3D release happening so that i can buy a 5900x.

Reactions: GarrettL

TRENDING THREADS