Should I use a monitor or TV?

gstar42

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I plan on using a mini PC (possibly an Intel NUC) to build a small system (24" screen) for the kitchen. This is not a full home theater setup. I want to play video via the internet (Youtube/Netflix, etc.) or movies from an attached DVD drive. I also want to be able to play music from CDs or online (Pandora, etc.). In addition, it will be used to browse the web and other minimal PC functions.

Since there will be no broadcast TV, no tuner is necessary. However I will likely connect external speakers. In this case is a monitor a good alternative? Will the video look the same on a monitor and a 1080p HDTV with similar specs? Will I save any $ by buying a TV instead of a monitor?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide or pointers to people who've done this.

Garry

A monitor will be cheaper(you won't need a tuner or speakers) and will look just as good as a TV for what you are using it for. Most monitors have just as many I/O port options as TV's also, though you will likely only need a VGA or DVI cable.

Tezyck

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Depends on the size you want.
Larger Monitors (32+) are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced compared to hdtvs (which tend to have better speakers, too, I think)

I am upgrading to a 1440p monitor, but I currently use a 42 inch sony bravia hdtv 1080p and it only cost me 350 dollars... and it has a great picture/decent speakers

EDIT: saw you were only looking for a 24 inch. Monitor all the way, then