Question Should I use a power strip to turn on and off my computer?

Jan 16, 2023
I'm planning on using a smart power strip with my alexa to turn on and off my computer. I'm able to do this by going into my bios and allowing my computer to turn on after a power loss. However, I've seen some things online that suggest that constantly cutting power to your computer in an abrupt fashion, in my case at least once a day, could damage your computer. Is it safe to do this or should I continue to turn it on and off manually?

D

Deleted member 14196

Turn it on and off manually and then after that if you want to turn off the power switch to the distribution unit you can do that

Setup windows to go into hibernation when pressing the power button, then you can safely cut the power.
The power button is a simple switch that you can extend to whatever length you want so if your issue is that you don't want to reach all the way to your power button you can bring the power button to you.
It's standard 'Jumper connectors' a length of double wire and any switch you like.
They sell extensions for a decent chunk of money or you could make one yourself.

This is not an extension, just the sort of cable you would end up making, but as long as you want it.
https://www.amazon.com/Jumper-Computer-Chassis-Restarting-Motherboard/dp/B07WGN63LB

Also the cmos battery would likely get weak on you by not having at least a little voltage going to the tower. So you could start noticing things later like date and time being off or maybe the bios could lose it’s configuration.
Meh, have you ever seen how long a wristwatch lasts with one of these batteries?!
And for the cmos it just needs to power a tiny bit of memory and not a whole clock.
It will still last for many years.