Question Should i use a stabilizer for my PSU??

Tegu6

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Should i use a stabilizer? I am asking this because i read that i should not use this things and i do not know what to do :c

DSzymborski

Titan
Only really useful if you have a junk PSU and if you have a junk PSU, you should be purchasing a non-junk PSU, not a stabilizer.

Hard to say more since we don't know anything about your equipment, what you're trying to do, what problem you might be having, etc.

Tegu6

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Only really useful if you have a junk PSU and if you have a junk PSU, you should be purchasing a non-junk PSU, not a stabilizer.

Hard to say more since we don't know anything about your equipment, what you're trying to do, what problem you might be having, etc.
I have a deepcool 700w 80plus bronze, ryzen 7 2700x and a rtx 2060. I use the pc for gaming. I know that my psu is not a good one but i am saving to buy a really good one the next year

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Unless you experience frequent brownouts, then no, it's not all that useful.
It's a small bonus included with UPS units though. Voltage regulator, surge protector, and battery system AIO.
But what I recently learned from @jonnyguru and my uncle(an electrician), none of this means/does anything if you don't have a ground set up in your residence.

Tegu6

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Unless you experience frequent brownouts, then no, it's not all that useful.
It's a small bonus included with UPS units though. Voltage regulator, surge protector, and battery system AIO.
But what I recently learned from @jonnyguru and my uncle(an electrician), none of this means/does anything if you don't have a ground set up in your residence.
I live in a third world country, so yes, there are brownouts, mostly in summer. I did not understand your last paragraph.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
A ground wire is a wire 'connected' to the ground that provides protection for your appliances and you in the event of a shock.
Without one, surge protectors, VRs, and UPSes are basically power strips.
How to know if you have one? Unfortunately, you'll have to contact an electrician to do an inspection if no one else really knows.

Tegu6

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
A ground wire is a wire 'connected' to the ground that provides protection for your appliances and you in the event of a shock.
Without one, surge protectors, VRs, and UPSes are basically power strips.
How to know if you have one? Unfortunately, you'll have to contact an electrician to do an inspection if no one else really knows.
Once I was "stuck" to a plug because I was wet and I plugged it badly. Then the electricity stopped and I could get out. Does that mean I have a ground connection? I never experienced that one of my appliances was "burned" by an electric shock so I have that or I was lucky. Going back to the above, in conclusion I should use the stabilizer at least until I get a better psu right?

I live in a third world country, so yes, there are brownouts, mostly in summer.

Two things:

One: What is the specific Deep Cool PSU you have? "700W" is a wattage and "80 PLUS Bronze" is a level of efficiency, but that doesn't tell us the model.

Why I'm asking: If it's a 230V EU Bronze PSU, then it probably can't run at lower mains voltages. During a brown out, the voltage can drop to around 90V (if it doesn't drop out completely). A good PSU can handle those low voltages. In fact, the "voltage range" of your PSU should actually be printed ON the PSU label. Check for yourself.

Two: When you say "stabilizer", are you talking about a UPS or just an AVR? Seems that "stabilizer" is a word that comes up often, but is either a jangled Google translate type mis-translation, or different countries use the term "stabilizer" differently.

Tegu6

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Two things:

One: What is the specific Deep Cool PSU you have? "700W" is a wattage and "80 PLUS Bronze" is a level of efficiency, but that doesn't tell us the model.

Why I'm asking: If it's a 230V EU Bronze PSU, then it probably can't run at lower mains voltages. During a brown out, the voltage can drop to around 90V (if it doesn't drop out completely). A good PSU can handle those low voltages. In fact, the "voltage range" of your PSU should actually be printed ON the PSU label. Check for yourself.

Two: When you say "stabilizer", are you talking about a UPS or just an AVR? Seems that "stabilizer" is a word that comes up often, but is either a jangled Google translate type mis-translation, or different countries use the term "stabilizer" differently.
One: this one http://www.deepcool.com/es/product/powersupply/2016-12/693_6305.shtml
Two: i am talking about a AVR

Ok. That's a decent unit. As you can see, it can handle voltage droops all the way down to 100V. An AVR isn't going to do ANYTHING for you.

An AVR doesn't "store energy". It simply boosts voltages when they drop a particular threshold.

If you're having a problem where your PC isn't staying on during brownouts, a UPS is what you need. Not an AVR.

Reactions: Tegu6