Question Should I use a usb vaccum cleaner on my components?

Aug 18, 2021
Recently I bought a mini usb vaccum cleaner and I found out that some people use it to deep clean the dust on components such as the surface of the motherboard and gpu. It comes with a brush nozzle that looks a lot like the anti-static brushes I have around.

I'm thinking about giving it a try to see if it really works as good as it seems, but I'm a bit concerned about static and other stuff that could ruin my components.

What do you guys think about this? Is this safe to do?

Ralston18

Titan
I would not use the vacuum inside a computer. Or use a computer's USB port to power the vacuum.

Static could be a problem but there is a greater chance, I think, of a slip or bump that could cause physical damage.

Especially if the vacuum cleaner is actually strong enough to remove bound dust and debris.

Plus using a USB port means that the computer must be on while being cleaned. Not recommended. You could power the vacuum from some other USB source but again that is problematic - the source may not be able to provide enough power. Exception being an independently powered USB hub with nothing else but the vacuum connected. Or a vacuum that happens to come with its own outlet - USB plug.

My suggestion is to use compressed air and carefully follow the cleaning instructions.

Aug 18, 2021
The vaccum itself is actually not strong, its made for cleaning small and sensitive stuff, and it also has a battery so I don't need to have it plugged while working. I'm worried about building too much static though