[SOLVED] Should I use an installation USB from 2015 or buy a new one?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 3, 2019
So, my HDD is slowly on its way out, has been for a while now. I'm going to be replacing it at some point with a SSD (Samsung 860 Pro 1TB most likely). I'm not planning on migrating the content of my HDD to it, because I want to do a fresh installation on my desktop. I've done enough with computers and upgrades and the like to know that a clean install is the way to go. I also have some minor bugs with my current Windows 10 that I hope to eliminate with a clean install ; no reason to do a clean install now on a dying HDD and everything does work as it should when the HDD cooperates. My question is this:

Should I use the Windows 10 installation USB I bought back in September 2015 now in 2019/2020 (depending on when I decide to replace the HDD with the new SSD. I might let the HDD fully die before I replace it) and have it do as it should? Or would I be better served in buying a newer version/install USB and using it? I know that using the USB from 2015 means that I have 4 years worth of updates to apply to it and that increases the chances of something going wrong. I'm using Windows 10 Home 64-bit and that's what I plan on using whether I use the install stick I already have or if I buy a new install stick. I don't know if my build info is needed, but this is a gaming desktop that I built myself, not a pre-built desktop from HP/Dell/etc. I don't have to worry about bloatware and things like that gumming up the OS.

Solution
No, you do NOT need to enter the license key, either during the download of the MediaCreation tool and building of the DVD or USB.
Or during the install. When it asks, skip...

This system had an activated/validated WIn 10. It will activate itself when it goes online after the install.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
You should be fine for activation if you have logged into and linked your Microsoft account with your main account on PC. This should link activation with hardware and your account so that when you boot into the clean install you just have to log into your account again and all should be well

Dec 3, 2019
You should be fine for activation if you have logged into and linked your Microsoft account with your main account on PC. This should link activation with hardware and your account so that when you boot into the clean install you just have to log into your account again and all should be well

I don't use a Microsoft account. I'd rather not give them more access than they already have and it's one less thing I have to deal with. I've never had a Microsoft account and I don't plan to get one.

Dec 3, 2019
My "microsoft account" is actually a gmail address from a decade ago.
You can literally use any email for this, doesn't have to be MS.

Well, I decided to do that simply because whenever, if ever, I change the HDD to a new SSD it'll make installing 10 back on my computer a little easier than having to worry so much about the activation side of things. I'll probably still use my USB stick or use the media tool you linked me to.