Question should I use an old hdd

Elie_4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
I got my self an hdd 300 gb from an old laptop(2011), according to crystal disk the disk is fine and it was not used so much like 6 month approx, I got old device which has a 1tb hdd and I want use it for another system. The old device hass no m.2 slots so windows gonna be running on it, would that old hdd be slower than the current one or it wont affect performance, it only gonna be used lightly and only game gonna be played on it is league of legends if my friend come to viste, which the current hdd was able to run it.

Elie_4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
I got my self an hdd 300 gb from an old laptop(2011), according to crystal disk the disk is fine and it was not used so much like 6 month approx, I got old device which has a 1tb hdd and I want use it for another system. The old device hass no m.2 slots so windows gonna be running on it, would that old hdd be slower than the current one or it wont affect performance, it only gonna be used lightly and only game gonna be played on it is league of legends if my friend come to viste, which the current hdd was able to run it.

Whether or not you should use an HDD depends on how patient you or whoever's using the computer is. Though honestly, I'm about week 3 into my experiment of running Windows 11 and my typical apps from a hard drive and I haven't really found it to be as painful as people say.

Though I'm probably going to up the ante later on just to see how painful I can make it.

Elie_4

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2016
Laptop HDD devices are painfully slow.
They are optimized for battery savings, not for performance.
If at all possible, buy a 2.5" ssd to use.
$50 for one will magically improve performance.
I guess that hdd is not working good after installing the pc studently turn off for no reason I think this sata 150 will never work, I guess I will find a cheap ssd or anything that is sata 600