Question Should I use Carbonaut on my laptop?

Omeggga

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
So here's the thing, I own an ASUS ROG G752VS-GC310T, which runs basically all I need it to run. Problem is that I've had this for almost four years now and I should likely switch out the thermal paste. Thus do I switch it out for a thermal grizzly carbonaut or do I switch it out for an arctis silver 5?

Lutfij

Titan
You're better off with regular thermal paste. Since you're inquiring about Thermal Grizzly, you can use anything they have or look at Noctua's NH-H1 or H2 or Arctic's MX-5. Following that, you could go one step further by changing out the thermal pads for something higher in quality, like that made by Fujipoly. You will however have to make sure the thickness of the pads are right, having a mere 0.5mm gap in mounting surfaces for any cooling solution can be the difference between good thermals and a dead component. You will need a small ruler or scale to help you understand the thickness(and length) of the pads.

Omeggga

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
You're better off with regular thermal paste. Since you're inquiring about Thermal Grizzly, you can use anything they have or look at Noctua's NH-H1 or H2 or Arctic's MX-5. Following that, you could go one step further by changing out the thermal pads for something higher in quality, like that made by Fujipoly. You will however have to make sure the thickness of the pads are right, having a mere 0.5mm gap in mounting surfaces for any cooling solution can be the difference between good thermals and a dead component. You will need a small ruler or scale to help you understand the thickness(and length) of the pads.
The problem with thermal paste is I already switched out thermal paste once and it did not end well... I don't know what I messed up, or whether maybe it was just the paste itself but a pc that had no overheating problems suddenly had a plethora of them.

As for the thermal pads you're talking about I'm absolutely lost ^^;

Omeggga

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
I ended up buying MX-5 at your recomendation, but I'm seeing a lot of people saying it's bad for laptops out of something called the "pump-out effect"... Also where can I see the dimensions I need for the thermal pads on the DRM?

TRENDING THREADS