Question Should i use Corsair CV550 with RTX 2060/Super/3060?

Hi guys, i've been wondering if Corsair CV550 could supply an RTX 2060/Super or Perhaps 3060? Currenly im planning to use one of those and planning to upgrade to DDR5 platform once its reasonable enough to upgrade.

System Specs
Intel Xeon E3 1270 v2
Gigabyte B75M HD3
Kingston HyperX 2x8gb 1600mhz
MSi GTX 1050 2G OC
Klevv Neo N400 240GB
WD Blue 1TB HDD
Deepcool Gammaxx 400S
3x Zalman ZA1225ASL fan 1x Aerocool Frost 12 fan

My PSU is Corsair CX550 new one, but it failed on cpu fpu stress test, even on furmark, so i RMA it. They said CX is out of stock and given the option for CX550M one, but i have to pay for $25. So i am trying to bargain for A CV550 one, also if i couldnt, i'll just go with FSP HV Pro 550W instead. Got some corsair trust issued right here :(.

Also I live in Indonesia, our voltage is +- 220V, my house is 215-217v i tested with multitester.

Last edited:

AlexTheFern

Notable
Jan 21, 2021
Hi guys, i've been wondering if Corsair CV550 could supply an RTX 2060/Super or Perhaps 3060? Currenly im planning to use one of those and planning to upgrade to DDR5 platform once its reasonable enough to upgrade.

System Specs
Intel Xeon E3 1270 v2
Gigabyte B75M HD3
Kingston HyperX 2x8gb 1600mhz
MSi GTX 1050 2G OC
Klevv Neo N400 240GB
WD Blue 1TB HDD
Deepcool Gammaxx 400S
3x Zalman ZA1225ASL fan 1x Aerocool Frost 12 fan

My PSU is Corsair CX550 new one, but it failed on cpu fpu stress test, even on furmark, so i RMA it. They said CX is out of stock and given the option for CX550M one, but i have to pay for $25. So i am trying to bargain for A CV550 one, also if i couldnt, i'll just go with FSP HV Pro 550W instead. Got some corsair trust issued right here :(.

Also I live in Indonesia, our voltage is +- 220V, my house is 215-217v i tested with multitester.
imo, a cv series might work, but a cx series would be a lot safer. I would not recommend focusing on getting a new card. The rest of your system is pretty weak, especially that processor and ram. If you want to get a new system, you can create a thread in the systems section of the forums and tag me there by typing @AlexTheFern.

another issue is that the rest of your system might bottleneck your card, meaning that it will limit its performance, another reason you might want to upgrade a few other parts.

In conclusion, new pc=cx at least. If you only upgrade that card, cv should be fine

Can you? Yes.
Should you? No.

This is very unusual for Corsair. I have a friend that lives on the Eu and had an Ax860 fail. Corsair was out of stock of the identical unit, so Corsair upgraded him to a 1000w unit free of charge.

@jonnyguru any clue why they would be out of stock of cx550s?
Should i just change to FSP HV Pro 550w? i already use those psu on my friends pc (R5 3600 + 1060 6gb gaming x) and till today hear no prob. Maybe corsair got an issues on 215-220V voltage line? Since my VS450 orange could power up my pc even stress fpu + furmark in the same time...

Last edited:
OP is in Indonesia. It's probably not Corsair support but the local authorized distributor?

CX is EOL. Was a poor seller. Too expensive.
Yes it is one of the Authorized distributor, my psu still on their place. Bargain to CV550 or buy Fsp hv pro 550w?

Also yeah if i saw on 80+ website, FSP Hv pro 550w got around 87-88% efficiency on 230V EU, while CX550 is around that level.

But an RTX 2060/Super/3060 should be fine with a good 550w psu right,

Yes it is one of the Authorized distributor, my psu still on their place. Bargain to CV550 or buy Fsp hv pro 550w?

Also yeah if i saw on 80+ website, FSP Hv pro 550w got around 87-88% efficiency on 230V EU, while CX550 is around that level.

None of the power supplies you listed are appropriate for an Ampere class video card. They're all low budget units. You need to increase your budget for a better quality power supply if you intend to use a high end graphics card. Corsair TX650m or Rm650x and for FSP the Hydro G 650W would work. You could probably use a 550 watt model if you needed to save money but a 650 would be better. If those are too expensive you should rethink your GPU upgrade. Using a cheap power supply with an expensive video card is just not a good idea.

Reactions: jonnyguru

Efficiency has zero to do with the PSUs ability to power your card. Neither of those PSUs should be used with an Ampere card.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
CX is EOL. Was a poor seller. Too expensive.
That's a shame. But it was a poor seller probably just because CX-M is cheaper and modular, and this in the eyes of regular customer it's a better choice. I would rather expect Corsair to replace the CX-M with CX-F-like HEC platform without RGB and rename the CX-M to CV-M or something to better distinguish between LLC resonant CX and double-forward CV lineups but well, marketing works in the mysterious ways.

None of the power supplies you listed are appropriate for an Ampere class video card. They're all low budget units. You need to increase your budget for a better quality power supply if you intend to use a high end graphics card. Corsair TX650m or Rm650x and for FSP the Hydro G 650W would work. You could probably use a 550 watt model if you needed to save money but a 650 would be better. If those are too expensive you should rethink your GPU upgrade. Using a cheap power supply with an expensive video card is just not a good idea.

Even CX-F would be a good choice if the price is right.

Reactions: Archaic59
Or just resell the psu for cheap? the CV550 i got is still all new and warranty still avaliable. i could go for a better psu maybe.

Or just resell the psu for cheap? the CV550 i got is still all new and warranty still avaliable. i could go for a better psu maybe.
The CV550 is only good for a home office system, not a gaming system. You'll have to do what you think is best. With a low power GPU < 100 watts it's probably ok but not with an Ampere GPU that can spike to high power for short periods of time.

Hydro GE isn't any better.

Hydro G is only marginabley better.

Are you really only able to buy garbage? I imagine that the same shop that sold you a 2060 or 3060 should also have an appropriate PSU to power it, no?
Are they really are that bad/garbage? i also consider for Seasonic Focus Gold 650W and Corsair RM650/x. The one CX550 i received failed to do load test after 1 day use. Also is there any specific Voltage/Amperage for RTX 3060? Please let me know.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
It's just that it's FSP. LOL! They make good power bricks. :D
I'm sorry, still not convinced. If i didn't knew who you are i would've thought that you're either trolling me or just clueless. Can't think of any reason why FSP Hydro G is just 'marginally better than' Corsair CV550 or FSP Hydro GE, i'd consider it at the very least on the level of something like Corsair CX-F. Am i wrong ? Why ?

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I'm sorry, still not convinced. Not knowing who you are i'd think that you're either trolling me or just clueless. Can't think of any reason why FSP Hydro G is just 'marginally better than' Corsair CV550 or FSP Hydro GE, i'd consider it at the very least on the level of something like Corsair CX-F. Am i wrong ? Why ?
https://www.google.com/search?q=jon...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

LOL he has probably forgot more than you will ever know about power supplies.