Should I use Dynamic or PPPoE/PPPoA ?

Dansaj

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
I have been having trouble lately with a game server(where people kept getting disconnected from it after a while) , so I was just curios and checked my broadband settings and I have it set to PPPoE/PPPoA (by default). I'm not familiar with what this is , but I do know what a Static or Dynamic IP address is. So I would like to know what PPPoE/PPPoA is and if I should carry on using it or switch to the Dynamic option.

You have no choice on a static IP unless you have paid for one from your supplier, so that stays on DYNAMIC, Your connection type will be PPPoE or PPPoA, it makes no difference to you. There is nothing you can change here.

Dansaj

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014

Why do I have an option to pick out of them 4 then ?

Because some people will have a static IP, some people will put their router in bridge mode and some will have a dynamic IP using PPPoE or PPPoA.

Dansaj

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014
Oh okay, should I leave it as it is then ? Also why don't I have an option to port forward ,which in the long term forces me to use hamachi ,which could be the source of my problem.

Dansaj

Honorable
Dec 26, 2014

I will do some research on how to do that. Thanks anyway for helping with both things !

No problem, YouTube has some videos on d-link routers port forward/NAT, good luck!!