Should I use Linux

Gabe_G

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Hey guys I have a second hard-drive that is just laying around and I want to do something with and I am wondering should I use Linux? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe

Solution
Hey,
I've used many distros of Linux, but I always get there, look around and go "well, this does nothing for me so I'm back to Windows 10" then that's it.

Heck, I can't even figure out how to stop getting SCREEN TEARING due to improper VSYNC I guess. I started with the default driver (Linux Mint) and used the proprietary driver.

*It's really best to start with a USB stick.

**also, if you have Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS you need to get a distro that supports this (or else you have to go into Secure Boot and disable it which I don't recommend as it's a hassle to keep switching that back and forth).

Arguably UBUNTU would be the best choice since it supports Secure Boot and is a pretty good all around distro for beginners.

About...

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Thats like asking if you should go to Spain on your holidays. Its personal preference. No one can tell you personally what you should do.

If you like the idea of having a 2nd os to play around with then sure, no reason not to give it a go.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
if you never used linux, do not install it

the livecd or liveusb is there for people like you who wants tolearn and run a new os without damaging any files or partitions

after some time, when you do like what you see, then consider installing it, on a dualboot, on that extra hard disk

linux has many great distros with really good forums full of users ready to help others, ubuntu, linux mint, there is many great distros, the most popular and friendly atm is mint, but there is 10 or more great for new users

Sure?

Linux is sometimes higher maintenance, but in general it works fine on its own and most things are quickly googled when that rule doesn't hold.

If you have no particular need for the specialized software in Windows, Linux is an interesting project. If you're not intending to get into the intimates of software dev or other IT stuff, it's probably not going to be that enlightening, though novel.

If you're going to try Linux, try using Linux Mint (KDE) or Ubuntu. Mint is closer to Windows and I find the interface to be nicer. It also comes with some really nice backgrounds.

I would only do it as a side project if you have no specific need of it, but otherwise there's probably better investments of time.

Hey,
I've used many distros of Linux, but I always get there, look around and go "well, this does nothing for me so I'm back to Windows 10" then that's it.

Heck, I can't even figure out how to stop getting SCREEN TEARING due to improper VSYNC I guess. I started with the default driver (Linux Mint) and used the proprietary driver.

*It's really best to start with a USB stick.

**also, if you have Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS you need to get a distro that supports this (or else you have to go into Secure Boot and disable it which I don't recommend as it's a hassle to keep switching that back and forth).

Arguably UBUNTU would be the best choice since it supports Secure Boot and is a pretty good all around distro for beginners.

About as far as I got was using WINE for a few applications I liked in Windows, installing VLC to watch videos, installing the NVidia driver and just figuring out how to navigate around.

But.. again, short of having a REASON to be in Linux which I didn't have my experience in Windows 10 is perfect for me and too many things (such as games) don't work in Linux. (yes I'm aware of STEAM in Linux and have tried that but it's not that great)

Solution

I agree with this entire post 100%. But to the OP, I would not do it on that extra hard drive.

My one question to the OP is, how many physical copies of your data do you have? If you do not have AT LEAST three separate copies, then you need to make a data plan and stick to it. You need at least three separate copies of your data, one hooked up to your computer, one stashed away in a drawer or a closet, and one off site. This would be the bare minimum in the 21st century.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
all my pcs dualboot, so no, you don't need two hard disks

is a commodity, but not necesary

but once one gets used to linux and has space to play, then that is the moment to install it

i have been using linux for 18 years more or less, still learning!

cah8429

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Hi there! I have been doing a Windows/Linux dual boot for the last 4 years now, and haven't regretted it. I like what other people say, which is try a live USB image of Linux, give Linux Mint or Ubuntu MATE 16.04 a try. If you think you can get comfortable with the UI, I encourage installing Linux to that extra drive of yours. As photonboy said, make sure Secure Boot is disabled when installing.

I like to use Linux primarily because it manages my memory and CPU time better, doesn't have a corporation breathing down my neck with every click I make, and it's really nice to install your OS and be up to date in less than an hour and have probably 90% of the applications you will want to use already installed. I have had many people I know using Linux and I typically hear from them that they find using Linux more straightforward to use. Just remember it is a DIFFERENT operating system.

Finally, if you are wanting to dual boot, remember these things:
* Make sure Windows is installed first, THEN Linux (so the bootloader Linux uses is what it used)
* Do manual partitioning when you install Linux to your drive, so you can choose to use your extra drive
* Look at guides on how to partition your disk
* Put the bootloader on the same disk that you install Linux on

IMO, the installer Ubuntu uses (which also means Linux Mint and Ubuntu MATE) is the easiest OS installer I have used to date.

I think Linux is worth using and learning so you can see if you do in fact enjoy having an alternative OS (or an OS to do another job), and Linux is also great for things like web servers, application servers, media servers, file servers, you name it. Linux has allowed me to do things that I can't do on Windows and for free!

Well there you go. If this was a poll, the decision is almost evenly divided, exactly the way it should be. There are many things to consider, so weigh your options and report back with what you decided to do.

If you have any issues, start a new thread and we can assist you.

Gabe_G

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Hey ricky I did try to use linux but it did not work out so i decided to use my second HDD as a backup drive.

Dave_135

Commendable
Apr 8, 2017
If I was asked about 6 weeks ago what OS I ran on Desktop, which I call My Editing Beast, I would have replied "I run 2 OS on my Computer, Windows 7 Pro and Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya Cinnamon." But I had been running that configuration for about 8 months, and the only time I went the Windows OS was to a Video Editing Program I had Installed, that could do the job Kdenlive could not do. But every time I did this, when I got back to the Linux Mint OS, I would go to the Kdenlive forum and put a comment about what Kdenlive needed to be able to do. And as time went on, in several of the updates that came down for the Linux Mint OS, I saw a few of them were for Kdenlive. It got the Point Kdenlive could do everything the Purchased Video Editing Program on Windows OS could do. So if you had asked me 5 weeks ago what OS I run on my Computer, I would say "I run Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya Cinnamon as the only OS on my computer.

All I can recommend is Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya Cinnamon. It can circles around any windows OS, is very customizable and easy to use.

Gabe_G

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
thanks for your help,