Should I Use Liquid Metal On GPU, Cpu-IHS Contact and Should I Delid?

piggyplayz

Reputable
Feb 16, 2018
Hi,
So I am planning to get a new build. I was wondering if it would be worth it to use liquid metal on my parts (ignoring price for now). There’s 3 parts where I would use it: contact between the cpu and IHS (so a delid), contact between the IHS and the cooling block and on the gpu. I will get an i7-8700k and a ASUS 1080ti RoG Strix. Is it worth the risk (especially with the delid and the gpu)? How much preformance increase will I expect from these changes? Also how often do I need to replace the liquid metal? So what would you recommend, in which one of these 3 places should I put liquid metal if any at all and is there any maintenance to it? Thanks!

Solution

Personally, I would go with more standard thermal paste to start with.

A slightly lower temp does not automagically...

USAFRet

Titan
A "delid" does not increase performance.

If you are on the hairy edge of overclocking
and if the only reason you cannot increase your overclock is strictly due to thermal throttling
and if you've explored ALL other cooling options
and if you are prepared to accidentally destroy your CPU....

Then maybe consider a delid.
But that should be the absolute last thing you try.
Not the first.

piggyplayz

Reputable
Feb 16, 2018

Thanks for the help! What about on the gpu and between the Cpu IHS and the cooler? Is the second one risky at all? I know the gpu one is risky but how much cooling improvement am I expecting with both of these options?

USAFRet

Titan

Personally, I would go with more standard thermal paste to start with.

A slightly lower temp does not automagically equal more performance.
If your system is topping out at 75C, getting that to 70C changes the performance exactly zero.

Solution