[SOLVED] Should i use m.2 ssd's provided heatsink or motherboard's provided heatsink?

Sep 12, 2020
I'm new to m.2 nvme ssd and i just bought adata ssd SX8200 Pro 2TB which included it's own heatsink and my motherboard is Z390 aorus pro wifi which also included it's own heatsink that they call thermal guard. There is not many info about each of these included heatsink. So which one is better for cooling or is it better to not use any heatsink at all?

Solution
so you mean i shouldn't use any heatsink at all?
Nope, not what I meant. If you don't use a heatsink at all, your drive might go well into the 90s or higher, above the rated values. Which is not the greatest for the controller I believe. I'm saying that if you cool too much, you could actually hurt performance.
Sep 12, 2020
If you're talking about the ssd dimension it is 80 x 22 x 3.5 mm and the form factor is M.2 2280. As for the material i'm not sure but i just assume they made of metal.

dimtodim

Reputable
I'm new to m.2 nvme ssd and i just bought adata ssd SX8200 Pro 2TB which included it's own heatsink and my motherboard is Z390 aorus pro wifi which also included it's own heatsink that they call thermal guard. There is not many info about each of these included heatsink. So which one is better for cooling or is it better to not use any heatsink at all?
its same...if u have extra m.2 port put that memory in thaht slot if u dont have use heatsink from motheboard in that way u can hide m.2

Sep 12, 2020
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FL-BS4XGIEp0g5ncLK-mdgC4Vq0QW1By/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FIJURXxpsrEJcagQFA8Iw2D-4ox3GBoK/view?usp=sharing

This heatsink is from my motherboards with 7.2 x 2.2 x 0.5 cm dimension and i think it is metal i assume because it doesn't state what kind of material it use. As for the ssd included heatsink i don't have it yet because it is still on delivery but based on what i can find from the internet the included ssd heatsink is basic looking and its thickness is thinner than the ssd itself i assume like just a plain sheet of metal.

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
so you mean i shouldn't use any heatsink at all?
Nope, not what I meant. If you don't use a heatsink at all, your drive might go well into the 90s or higher, above the rated values. Which is not the greatest for the controller I believe. I'm saying that if you cool too much, you could actually hurt performance.

Solution
Sep 12, 2020
Ok, so the sweet spot for the temperature is between 50 to 70 C is what you meant right. Then maybe i just use the mobo provided heatsink and see if the temperature go between those range.