Question Should I Use My Laptop While it is Charging?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2023
I have heard that I should not use my laptop while it is on AC power. I mean while the laptop is charging. It damages laptop's battery quickly. Is this true? If true then what is the correct way of using a laptop? As I do not have any desktop computer and I work on my laptop if I do not use laptop putting it on AC power I guess I have to charge my laptop 3 to 5 times everyday. I use nearly 8 to 12 hours. My battery currently provides me maximum 2 and half our backup. Moreover electricity loadshedding is a big problem here. During summer everyday at least 4 to even 8 hours of loadshedding is very common here.

One more question. Should I limit maximum battery charging to 95% to increase the battery life? Someone recommended me not to full charge my battery as it decreases battery life quickly. If it is true then how can I limit maximum charging to 95%?

Laptop - HP Elitbook 840 G3. Core i7
O/S - Windows 11 and Ubuntu 24 Desktop (dual booting using 2 different partitions)

May 11, 2023
While limiting charging preserves the capacity over time, it's not that significant of a factor.

What's the biggest killer of battery capacity over time is temperature.
In this case does laptop cooler really work? I have one but I never used it at all.

May 11, 2023
It depends on the laptop. If the bottom has a large ventilation space, I could see it working. But if there's only vents where the fans are, it's not going to do much. Not to mention if the bottom is plastic, it's not going to help anyway
I see. Thanks a lot man..

Status
Not open for further replies.