Should I Use Raid 0 or something else for better performance?

Hello everyone i have
Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2 SSD for Windows
Samsung 128GB Sata SSD
after that i have
2x1TB WD Green 7200RPM Drive
and 2TB Blue Hard drive
so i have heard that Raid 0 increase Performance of HDD Read and write is that true?
should i use my both 2x1TB HDD in Raid 0 and store my games in that will i notice any Improvements in speed?

Have never used Raid or never Setup one:D
CSS:

Solution
RAID 0 will not increase the chance of loss of any single drive by using it, but the chance of one of the two drives failing and taking out all the data is greater than the chance of a single drive failing.

Plus, yes -- green drives suck for RAID of any level.

edit: and the other thing that increases the chance of data loss is using bios based RAID, which is far less stable than an actual RAID card. I would use Windows stripping before motherboard based RAID 0.

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
It may but you also increase the possibility of loosing your games due to drive failure. In raid 0 you essentially double the possibility of loosing all your data due to drive failure. Put your games on an ssd and get essentially the same or better speed.

drive failure :(

indsup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015

Yes it's possible for sure. I have had a few fail. They all will eventually. Just have to make sure you plan for the failure and have a back up in place to restore your data. I use a separate backup drive that is only hooked up when i do a back up. Once a week usually. If you don't have a backup you will spend hours upon hours restoring, updating, etc.

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
I've been using RAID0 for years and haven't experienced issues. The trick? GET GOOD DRIVES!. DON'T GO with those 2 TB Green Drives. If you want reliability, go with either a NAS style HDD (WD RED) or Enterprise drives. They are more expensive, but they last. Ive had my drives running in RAID0 for the pst 8 years, no issues. And if your worried about losing data, backup your data to a NAS or some type of external storage. There were times when I would install some app that would cause havoc on my system, which then I would had to re-install my whole system. Since I have backups, no sweat. Good luck!

RealBeast

Titan
RAID 0 will not increase the chance of loss of any single drive by using it, but the chance of one of the two drives failing and taking out all the data is greater than the chance of a single drive failing.

Plus, yes -- green drives suck for RAID of any level.

edit: and the other thing that increases the chance of data loss is using bios based RAID, which is far less stable than an actual RAID card. I would use Windows stripping before motherboard based RAID 0.

Solution

okay so now i have the WD 2x2TB Black Drives and 1x2TB Blue Drive and M.2. NVME SSD for windows
what i want to do is use both black drive in RAID and leave the rest alone please tell me how to do the same

RealBeast

Titan
If you are running Windows 10, I suggest using Storage Spaces like THIS rather than a bios based RAID 0 as any hiccup or bios update can break motherboard based RAID.

Since the simple space is like RAID 0 be sure that anything on there that you want is backed up elsewhere as 1 drive failure will destroy the data.

I have windows 10 on my SSD and will try and do let me know is it really worth it will in crease the loading times of games and drive data copy paste speed?

RealBeast

Titan
Personally, I don't think that it is worth it as it improves performance of sequential reads for game levels but even using an SSD for game storage is not really not terrible useful as it only speeds up large sequential transfers (game levels) a bit and only when you are changing level.

TL;dr I find it hardly noticeable to even use an SSD for game level storage.

all my games are on HDD not on SSD SSD is only for windows and software and now i am getting confused should i go for raid if it increase the performance or not i have recently bought 2 WD black drives

RealBeast

Titan
I would not use RAID on them for performance as it really won't help and if one drive has a problem you lose all your data.

While RAID can be useful, it is really not in this type of use.

Today the real purpose of RAID is for redundant storage (where you can lose a drive and still have your data, such as with RAID 5 or 6 -- and even that is becoming less common with the larger drive sizes).

And the point is that even using an SSD for your games will not provide much difference in game play experience.

Ok leave it i think ill buy another m.2. SSD 500GB will be more then enoufgh
what about this one
WESTERN DIGITAL Blue 3D NAND 500GB M.2
or
Adata XPG SX6000 512GB M.2

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*2

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)*3

*2 The M.2_1 socket shares SATA_1 port when use M.2 SATA mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use a SATA device.
*3 The M.2_2 socket shares SATA_56 ports when use M.2 PCIE mode device in X4 mode. Adjust BIOS settings to use SATA devices.

the one near CPU middle one i am using Samsung 970 Evo 250GB M.2 SSD and one which is under the shield is blank

RealBeast

Titan
As long as you don't need SATA ports 5 and 6, sure.