[SOLVED] Should I use Shadowplay on HDD or SSD?

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Hello,

Should I use SSD with my Shadowplay, or should I use HDD?
I can get 4x TB HDD for the price of 1 TB SSD

I save shadowplay files Often (in TB sizes..), and If I use 1 TB SSD it will likely be filled within months. ( I already got like above 2TB shadowplay files)

I heard that HDD is kinda better for Shadowplay as the performance is the same with SSD, and SSD would wear out quicker if Shadowplay was constantly saving/deleting on it. is that true?
I get that SSDs are quicker for overall applications, so those 4 TB will likely be only used for Shadowplay files as I have Terrabytes worth of video clips and 1 TB SSD feels like nothing.

Question:
  • If I'm only going to be using those 4TB HDD for storages like saving/deleting shadowplay videos, and overall using it as storage for photos and whatnot.. would that slow down my shadowplay performance by any way? or FPS in games?
  • I still have my shadowplay's Temporary files set to C: which is a M.2 NVMe should I keep it like that for better performance?
unknown.png

These are my drives, F is currently almost full constantly having to clear it off. (F is a HDD been using it to save shadowplay files).
If I use shadowplay on D/E/G those 400-500GB will be filled in a month to the max, so it's not a solution.
J will soon be filled with a lot of game installs, so there won't be enough for Shadowplay.

unknown.png

Thank you.

Solution
Unless you record at absurdly high bandwidth a HDD will be ok, it's all about how many Mb per second the recording is, as long as it is lower than the max of the HDD there is no slowdown.
HDD have more write cycles before they break so in general they last longer.
The temp files are the normal recordings before they get saved, I would move that to the HDD as well.
Unless you record at absurdly high bandwidth a HDD will be ok, it's all about how many Mb per second the recording is, as long as it is lower than the max of the HDD there is no slowdown.
The temp files are the normal recordings before they get saved, I would move that to the HDD as well.

Reactions: xxxbabyxxx
Solution

xxxbabyxxx

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
Thanks for responding, these are my current speed on my HDD that is connected to shadowplay, when I save files it doesn't cause me to lag at all:
unknown.png

unknown.png

(Although I might increase bitrate to 60? idk if I should but anyway that's my settings)

is TEMP Files being on M.2 NVME bad or can cause stutter or?

Alright, once I put both of the TEMP + Saving to a HDD, it would be a good idea to defrag like weekly? seeing I Shadowplay often multiple 10GBs+ a day?
Not really, defrag is only important with many small files where new files get broken up into many many parts.
If you write tens of Gb each time you will only get a couple of breaks if any and the buffer would have no issue in dealing with that.

Reactions: xxxbabyxxx