[SOLVED] Should I use slow ethernet or fast wifi?

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
Hi all! I've got a question, should I use slow ethernet or fast wifi? My wifi gets around 150mbps up & down, but I can connect my devices to ethernet if I want. The only thing is: I can only get a 100mbps switch rn, so will it be better or worse to use ethernet? I use the internet mostly for streaming to my YouTube channel & using GeForce NOW (cloud gaming service). Planning on using it with my PC & PS4 slim. Both have a gigabit port.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi all! I've got a question, should I use slow ethernet or fast wifi? My wifi gets around 150mbps up & down, but I can connect my devices to ethernet if I want. The only thing is: I can only get a 100mbps switch rn, so will it be better or worse to use ethernet? I use the internet mostly for streaming to my YouTube channel & using GeForce NOW (cloud gaming service). Planning on using it with my PC & PS4 slim. Both have a gigabit port.
100mbps ethernet is preferable over 150mbps WiFi.

Reactions: Zapthos

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
If you're buying a new switch, there is almost no reason to get a 10/100 vs a 10/100/1000.
Unless, of course, there is not a 10/100/1000 available in your market.
I know, but everywhere where I can get one it's super expensive.. 10/100 = €5 10/100/1000 = €80 and my internet speed isn't even 1gbps (I think its like 200mbps or something).

There are many you can actually get for extremely cheap if you order it out of china....not recommended.

One of the more popular brands is tplink tl-sg108. This is many times sold in the USA for $20. You can actually buy it in many walmart stores for that. Not sure what you can get it for but this is a very common device sold worldwide so I would hope it was cheap.

Still internally there is not a lot of difference they all pretty much use the same single chip switch. The main difference tends to be the power supply. That is what will go bad not the switch itself.