[SOLVED] Should I use the Split cable Power supply cable to Graphic card?

Jul 20, 2020
Hello everyone,
I have a very basic question but I'm kind of new to this.

Current setup:
  • PSU is EVGA NEX750BQ
  • GTX 1060
I have bought a New Graphic card (RTX 2070 super) that needs a 6 and 8 pin connectors, my power supply comes with a PCIe split cable with a 8 and 6 pin connectors.

My questions are,
  • Should I use the split cable to power the graphic card?
  • should I buy another PCIe cable to connect it to one of the modules of the PSU?
Thank you in advance for your help!

This is the cable:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/GoodNameCarlos/Test-repo/master/Split Cable.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
It's generally recommended that where possible, to use connectors from different cables.

However, if this is an EVGA 750 BQ, it already comes with two modular PCIE cables. You don't just go out and "buy another PCIe cable" because modular power supply cables are not universal. If you've misplaced one and have to buy another one, you have to buy one that's specified to be for exactly this unit, or you could destroy one or more of your components.

DSzymborski

Titan
It's generally recommended that where possible, to use connectors from different cables.

However, if this is an EVGA 750 BQ, it already comes with two modular PCIE cables. You don't just go out and "buy another PCIe cable" because modular power supply cables are not universal. If you've misplaced one and have to buy another one, you have to buy one that's specified to be for exactly this unit, or you could destroy one or more of your components.

Reactions: Carleonidas
Solution
Jul 20, 2020
Sadly, I don't have the other modular PCIE cables.

I paid someone to build my PC, and now I realize that he kept all the cables that were'nt used in the biuld.

So, can I use the modular cable to connect my GPU or I must buy a new cable from EVGA?

I know you said "It's generally recommended that where possible, to use connectors from different cables", that makes me think that I can us it, but it's not preferred.

DSzymborski

Titan
Sadly, I don't have the other modular PCIE cables.

I paid someone to build my PC, and now I realize that he kept all the cables that were'nt used in the biuld.

So, can I use the modular cable to connect my GPU or I must buy a new cable from EVGA?

I know you said "It's generally recommended that where possible, to use connectors from different cables", that makes me think that I can us it, but it's not preferred.

You can use the one you have. It's ideal to use multiple cables, but not strictly necessary.

Kinda like it's ideal that we don't eat a lot of bacon. But realistically, most of us are, at some point, going to eat a lot of bacon.

Reactions: Carleonidas