Should i use the SSD for OS and M2 for Game storage ?

dolomats

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
Hello.

I would like what will increase my PC gaming performance

use the SSD 2.5 for the OS and the M.2 SSD for games storage or the opposite ?

Thank's

NB : The M.2 SSD is faster.

Solution

OK, just as a general concept in level load times:
(NOT REAL NUMBERS)

HDD - 5 secs
SSD - 0.3 sec
M.2 - 0.2 sec.

HDD->SSD, Huge difference
SSD->M.2 Tiny difference.

So...the m.2 is "33% faster" than the SSD. Looks great in a benchmark, or on a fancy graph. But would you really notice that?

If you've already got the drives, use them. But I wouldn't switch things around, just to use one or the other for games.

USAFRet

Titan

In a blind test, using real world games and applications, I defy anyone to be able to actually tell the difference.

HDD, SSD, or M.2....FPS will not change. That happens within the CPU and GPU. Not the drive.

What drives and sizes do you have in this system?

TDice

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
easy and cheap setup: SSD OS and HDD for files and games.

imo: if you are reading and writing a lot, Use an HDD, they will perform better longer unless you are rolling in cash, then just get a m2 or ssd.

I use ssd for OS only and use HDD everywhere else. ssd's die to fast for me. (i edit videos/photos and do some other secret stuff). when i get a new OS, i ned a new ssd also. ssd last about 2 years for me and HDD last about 4 to 12 years for me.

you can do m2 ssd for OS but i recommend a HDD for games.

dolomats

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
Thanks for your answers.

Yes i know it wong give more fps I was thinking about the games load time and maps load... Since like this things rely also on the disk

My SSD storage is 256gb
And M.2 NVMe is 512gb

USAFRet

Titan

OK, just as a general concept in level load times:
(NOT REAL NUMBERS)

HDD - 5 secs
SSD - 0.3 sec
M.2 - 0.2 sec.

HDD->SSD, Huge difference
SSD->M.2 Tiny difference.

So...the m.2 is "33% faster" than the SSD. Looks great in a benchmark, or on a fancy graph. But would you really notice that?

If you've already got the drives, use them. But I wouldn't switch things around, just to use one or the other for games.

Solution

TDice

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

For load times, it will help a little. But if you are online, you won't see a difference. But offline, you might see an increase in load time unless you are using a lot of cpu usage. If the brain of the computer is occupied, it wont write/read as fast.

TDice

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015

Not a problem Bud!

I am jelly you have a m.2, I want one for my os :p

TRENDING THREADS