[SOLVED] Should I use the Wraith Prism or the Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition for my 3700X?

Dec 28, 2019
I plan on overclocking, to around 4GHz, which I might change when I actually get my new rig since I'm just assuming. I honestly really like the Wraith Prism because of its simple design. It looks so clean. One thing I am worried about is that the fan might be a bit loud. The Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition runs quietly at full load and cools a bit better. Is it really worth it?

Solution
No, I don't have any parts yet. I'm just about to buy them. Would you recommend the Hyper 212 if I were to overclock it at 4.2 GHz? Because I've seen a lot of people saying that the Wraith Prism is a bit loud. I also saw a comment and he said that the Wraith Prism has a fan switch at the side, L and H and that AMD ships them at L at default. Does it actually exist and if so where is it located at?
There are better CPU air coolers than CM 212 in same price range. Like this one for instance https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/freezer-34-esports-duo.html
Yes, Prism has Low/high switch but at low setting RPM are halved and may not provide enough cooling although definitively quieter.
Air cooler performance in general, depend much on...
I plan on overclocking, to around 4GHz, which I might change when I actually get my new rig since I'm just assuming. I honestly really like the Wraith Prism because of its simple design. It looks so clean. One thing I am worried about is that the fan might be a bit loud. The Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition runs quietly at full load and cools a bit better. Is it really worth it?
AT 4GHz that's not overclocking but underclocking as that CPU can run over 4.2GHz all cores with up to 4.4GHz on one core when PBO is enabled. If you limit it to 4GHz stock cooler is more than enough.
Do you already have that Cooler Master ?

Dec 28, 2019
No, I don't have any parts yet. I'm just about to buy them. Would you recommend the Hyper 212 if I were to overclock it at 4.2 GHz? Because I've seen a lot of people saying that the Wraith Prism is a bit loud. I also saw a comment and he said that the Wraith Prism has a fan switch at the side, L and H and that AMD ships them at L at default. Does it actually exist and if so where is it located at?

There are better CPU air coolers than CM 212 in same price range. Like this one for instance https://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/freezer-34-esports-duo.html
Yes, Prism has Low/high switch but at low setting RPM are halved and may not provide enough cooling although definitively quieter.
Air cooler performance in general, depend much on case cooling, so that has to be taken into account too.
There's also something else about Ryzen, auto boost (PBO) works best with temps up to 62c but when set manually even 80 is not too much but any cooler will get noisier if temps go over 70c.
Another thing about cooling, it will always be quieter if you overdo cooling, then you can keep fan RPM at lower speed which invariably results in less noise.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS