Should I use thermal paste in my amd ryzen 5 1400 processor?

Jan 22, 2019
Hi guys. I am building a computer with an AMD Ryzen 5 1400 processor and an ASRock AB350M motherboard and I do not know if I should use thermal paste in the processor.

I'm asking because I've seen some tutorials and they do not always put heat paste on it.

THANKS GUYS!

Solution
ALWAYS use thermal paste. there is but one and only ONE reason not to add paste and that is a brand new heatsink with the paste pre-applied.
retail CPU's/heatsinks will have the proper paste pre applied to the heatsink so there is no need to ADD more.
there should ALWAYS be a thermal Interface Material, or TIM used.

when reapplying be sure to remove any old cured paste from the heatsink first.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
ALWAYS use thermal paste. there is but one and only ONE reason not to add paste and that is a brand new heatsink with the paste pre-applied.
retail CPU's/heatsinks will have the proper paste pre applied to the heatsink so there is no need to ADD more.
there should ALWAYS be a thermal Interface Material, or TIM used.

when reapplying be sure to remove any old cured paste from the heatsink first.

Solution
Are you using the stock cooler or buying a separate one? The stock cooler has pre-applied thermal paste. If you’re using the stock cooler, My recommendation is to get some good thermal paste (I use thermal grizzly kryonaut, and it superb) and clean off the pre-applied paste on the cooler and apply that.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

I'm pretty sure it was retail install tutorials so there was no need to apply.
that is honestly the ONLY reason I can think of it would be left out of an tutorial.

However sometimes the pre-applied paste isn’t that great (manufacturers use lower grade cheaper paste to save money) so I personally like to clean off the contact surface and apply my own. I know the difference isn’t that much, but i do it as a personal choice.