[SOLVED] Should I use this 7yo PSU? Please take a look.

May 14, 2020
Ive been using a laptop for over 5 years and Ive completely forgot about what PSU ive bought long time ago, now ive decided to build a new gaming system. Since I have my 12yo desktop pc, I wanted to re-use its Zallman Z11 case. There is also a PSU in this case, Its for me unknown brand called ACE power, its 600 watt PSU unit. This unit powered system with Radeon HD 4870 with Phenom II X4 955, for 7 years (it has manufacture date 2013 on the box). Ive stopped using that PC when I went to university and bought a laptop, another reason was failing GPU that probably failed due to overheating (Only now Ive found stone hard remains of paste), Ive fixed GPU by backing it and applied new paste, it works now but still overheats a lot (idle temp. is around 55°C). PSU is quite heavy and PC was generating enough heat to warm whole room in the winter, I dont know if it was its fault or just combination of 150 wat GPU and 125 watt CPU. Shoul I use this PSU or just throw it away? What PSU should I use for combination of I5-9500 cpu, Nvidia 1650S and basic peripherals (2x HDD, 1x SSD,DVD-rom)?
y4mwSGOtR61fEeYTAcDbMIvSXZp5kDYUH1-klND7d4f-6BoAGqVToTARbhDqe07Tzi6w7UzSMN1r94Z14kJqzlz6Kmlv95CeQ0i7DRC4-_V8Zy8s97yQxolMaG29dUdkOUD9Heov9nQp33sXdQ2VmmfPdK5XE7dtxilROBP3P8gkqgNrenp8AlucPoUIyNFQVTr40T6GtNgEFH0SoG6qmXnqw

y4mHkfWvKV9UUmO3wmPXSagRzBkhgqYITuD-CVX_XB21k5B711aKRATeTqxCew5PLhArlP8FCisI1DQHPJddqay6liKoTOFpiuSvWVGGxyuwbpvO1cB8-YeYCd_zRDuPdbtSj7lWTrD28FNwjS4Jga5Bq_qUgsPzFZ9xeqPbffWhrKA6YAmkDAsNkLd41N-6aODMgIlted-czqn5Ykrhot4yQ

Solution
Thank you for an advice, Ive been looking for PSUs in my country and found several suitable in performance/reputation and price range. At least there are models from brands that I know. I dont know how many watts would I need, Im thinking at least 500 just to be sure in case of upgrade.
Models Im thinking about are:
Zalman ZM 500 LX II - 500w - 35 euros
Bequiet system power 9 - 400w - 41 euros
Corsair VS 350 - Im not sure if 350w would be sufficient - 39 euros
Corsair CV 450 - 450w - 45 euros
Other brands avialable for me are unknown like: SilentiumPC, NJOY, Evolveo and Eurocase (we have pretty bad shops here)
Computer parts are expensive in my country and EU taxes mean no viable option to buy outside of EU.
Here is a good...
May 14, 2020
Basically, I wouldn't trust a 7 yo, unknown brand (to me) PSU with my I5-9500 cpu and Nvidia 1650S .

I think the wise move would be to buy a Corsair or Seasonic or something of similar quality.
Thank you for an advice, Ive been looking for PSUs in my country and found several suitable in performance/reputation and price range. At least there are models from brands that I know. I dont know how many watts would I need, Im thinking at least 500 just to be sure in case of upgrade.
Other brands avialable for me are unknown like: SilentiumPC, NJOY, Evolveo and Eurocase (we have pretty bad shops here)
Computer parts are expensive in my country and EU taxes mean no viable option to buy outside of EU.

Here is a good post on power supplies that was posted on here a couple years ago.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...t-to-avoid-and-psu-discussion-thread.3212332/

Out of the brands you mentioned I think the Corsairs and possibly the BeQuiet are probably of higher quality than the others.....but read the article I linked to.

As far as how big....NVidia is recommending 350 watts min.
The card draws 100 watts.
The i5 is 65 watts.
I think you may be able to get away with 350 watts if the rest of your system isn't pulling a lot.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
Wow! This thing has FRAUD written all over it!

Check this out:

It's 230V input only. But it has a standard 80 PLUS logo (80 PLUS is tested at 115V). It also has a Canadian "CSA" safety mark, but Canada uses 115V, not 230V!!!

We also have no idea if this thing can actually put out anywhere near 600W! All of the rails have an OCP of 25A, but there's no combined +3.3V and +5V rating and no combined +12V rating!

I'm surprised it lasted 7 days... never mind 7 years!!

This is HILARIOUS!!! How have they not been SUED?!?!?

May 14, 2020
Wow! This thing has FRAUD written all over it!

Check this out:

It's 230V input only. But it has a standard 80 PLUS logo (80 PLUS is tested at 115V). It also has a Canadian "CSA" safety mark, but Canada uses 115V, not 230V!!!

We also have no idea if this thing can actually put out anywhere near 600W! All of the rails have an OCP of 25A, but there's no combined +3.3V and +5V rating and no combined +12V rating!

I'm surprised it lasted 7 days... never mind 7 years!!

This is HILARIOUS!!! How have they not been SUED?!?!?
Maybe thats the reason they are not registered in EU anymore, but thanks for insight. Ill save some nice words for a local computer store where Ive bought it next time Ill pass by.

JadeHarley

Reputable
May 11, 2018
Safety first! If you wanna be sure that nothing gonna die in the middle of gaming, sell it somehow to someone for office PC. If you want spend a lot of money on PSU, buy Be Quiet System Power 9 500W, if you want to have best choice 500W, you go for Super Flower Leadex Silver 500W, simple

Safety first! If you wanna be sure that nothing gonna die in the middle of gaming, sell it somehow to someone for office PC. If you want spend a lot of money on PSU, buy Be Quiet System Power 9 500W, if you want to have best choice 500W, you go for Super Flower Leadex Silver 500W, simple

You do't sell a PSU like that. You send it to the recylcer!

Selling that to someone is like taking $20 in exchange for someone you don't know and never met being killed.

May 14, 2020
Thanks a lot for advices. O god I hate china
You do't sell a PSU like that. You send it to the recylcer!

Selling that to someone is like taking $20 in exchange for someone you don't know and never met being killed.
I agree, someone who doesnt needs 600 watt wont buy 600wat PSU, so noone would use it at low power. Its dangerous and should have never been imported into EU with its fake "certificates". I dont think second-hand PSU is an issue if its quality unit, not this mistery sh*tbox. Ive opened it and Ive never seen cheaper circuit board, it looks 80yo and hand made... I would probably ship it to someone who test PSUs to have some fun with it.