[SOLVED] Should i use this graphics card or not?

Jan 5, 2021
So i have a really old computer and i want to have dual screens for work purposes. I don't really want to spend any money on the computer as it is really old, but I also don't want to buy a new computer until this COVID thing is over. The other day, someone gave me their HP-branded Radeon HD 2400 Pro. I want the extra dvi port on the graphics card, but I don't want to if i have to upgrade other components. Will it be fine?

Solution
Well the thing is... The cpu doesnt have any integrated graphics and its running off Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor. Could i use both then?

Your system is old enough that the integrated graphics are included in the northbridge of the motherboard, not the CPU.
Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Generally speaking, if the motherboard detects a discrete graphics card installed in the PCI-Ex16 expansion slot, the on-board graphics are disabled. Now this may not always be the case and there is certainly no harm in trying it out.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
In pre-built systems, you generally cannot run both integrated and discrete graphics simultaneously., so you will need to verify that you can use just the graphics card for your monitor displays. The 220 watt power supply should be enough for such a low-end card.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Well the thing is... The cpu doesnt have any integrated graphics and its running off Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor. Could i use both then?

Your system is old enough that the integrated graphics are included in the northbridge of the motherboard, not the CPU.
Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Generally speaking, if the motherboard detects a discrete graphics card installed in the PCI-Ex16 expansion slot, the on-board graphics are disabled. Now this may not always be the case and there is certainly no harm in trying it out.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: dotas1
Solution
Jan 5, 2021

-Wolf sends
Worth a try. Thanks