Question should I use two wireless routers?

Jul 19, 2019
I need to connect my Windows 10 machine with a device in the garage that connects to the solar panels to monitor performance. Problem: The manufacturer states that their device is designed such that the wireless must be within two feet to communicate. It can connect with a cable.
Additional point: I am installing an Arduino in the garage to monitor the air handler to see how the air conditioning system is working. One Ethernet connection. The two boxes are a good 20 feet apart when following the walls.
I see two options.
  • Put a wireless router in the garage. I don’t know how to configure the wireless such that my computer goes from wired connection to the first router, over wireless to the second wireless router, and from there to a particular address such as 172.30.1.1 Note that this is not a 168 address but I presume that it is accessible without changing options on the router/switch. I have read the posting prohibition about IP addresses but this is a LAN address and I suspect, and hope, not visible via my ISP connection.
  • Route a hard cable out through the wall/ceiling to the garage and down to a switch in the garage. Much simpler in concept but a hole in the wall, wire through the wall, up to the ceiling inside the wall, and out to the garage. That also means a hole through the 2/4 at the top of the wall, wade through the insulation, and another hole through the ceiling of the garage.
The first router is D-Link model DIR-859. The second router has not been purchased. If I go the hard wire route, then just about anything will work. Speed is not important, 1 Mbit is more than enough.
Because of ignorance in option 1, I tend to the second, but then again, 1 might be more simple than I suspect.
What is the advice of someone that has connected multiple wireless routers via their wireless transport?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Instead of routers per se I believe that your requirements call for wireless wireless access points.

Many routers can be configured either as a router or as an access point.

And if speed does not matter per se then the performance loss inherent in wireless connectivity is likely moot.

Because you mentioned having a D-Link router here is a starter link:

http://www.dlink.cc/d-link-router/how-to-setup-the-d-link-dap-1665-in-access-point-mode.html

You can easily find similar links and tutorials to work out the necessary details with respect to the stated requirements.

Plan it out accordingly and post your plan. You will find it very helpful to sketch out the proposed/plan connections showing devices and cables.

Jul 19, 2019
Wonderful.
I found that it has only one port, but according to the manual, that can go to a switch or hub meaning two distinct IP addresses will be workable. I will go that way.
My plan is this.
Purchase the DAP-1664.
Fire up the DAP-1664 and configure it while hard wired to my current D-link router.
Disconnect and move to the garage.
Connect to a switch. I doubt many people make hubs these days.
Hard wire one port to the Arduino. Two feet or less, jumper cable.
Hard wire a second port to the Envoy (the device that communicates with the solar panel inverters. Maybe 24 feet of cable. There is one inverter per panel.
Thank you for your time.

TRENDING THREADS