Should I use windows 7 or 8 in my new build?

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I am building a new computer for audio recording and not sure which OS to use. My wife has a new windows 8 laptop and I really hate the new start-up menu. I think it loads way faster than windows 7 on my laptop. I just hate the way it acts when using the touch pad. It will jump from one thing to another for no reason. I won't be doing any internet browsing with it. the only time it will see the internet is during driver updates and registering my software. So what would you recommend? I will be building my computer tomorrow.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
OK. I know all my programs are compatible with it. I just keep hearing horrible stories about it acting up on other people systems. If you look at the reviews on Newegg.com it makes you want to stick with windows 7. I haven't had any problems with my wife windows 8 besides the start menu and how it jumps from one thing to another sometimes. I guess I'll go ahead and take a chance on it. Is the 8.1 version suppose to fix the bugs?

Windows 8 Pro: This can be seen as Windows 8 Ultimate just like Windows 7 Ultimate edition. It includes all the features of Windows 8 plus features required by tech enthusiasts and business/technical professionals. Specifically, Windows 8 Pro will include features like BitLocker and BitLocker To Go, support for Boot from VHD, Client Hyper-V, Domain Join, Encrypting File System, Group Policy, and Remote Desktop (host). Windows Media Center though supported, will be available as a separate add-on.

http://pureinfotech.com/2012/04/17/windows-8-vs-windows-8-pro-vs-windows-rt-vs-windows-8-enterprise-feature-by-feature/

Most issues with 8 I have seen are from people who have done upgrades. I have been running 8 Pro since release (got the $15 dollar deal).

As for the "Start Menu" honestly I didn't use it that much except to access a few basic apps like calculator since most programs install a desktop shortcut and I pinned what I use a lot to the start bar anyways. Now if I need a basic app I just hit the Windows key and start typing the name then hit enter. Its faster than clicking start and going through the menus to find what I want and the search is faster than what's in 7.

Also 8.1 is very nice. Boot to desktop is you want and you can make the start screen show all apps. As well you can organize the start screen apps into groups so if you want to have a group of games you can make that group then put them in there and put them in front.

Its a great OS and people just don't like change. People hated change when Windows was first introduced and tried to hold on to their beloved DOS for ever as well.

Walt1227

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
So should I buy the regular windows 8 64 bit or get the windows 8 pro 64 bit version? The only time I will be on the internet with it is just to register my software and get drivers I need. I will be doing audio recording so not sure if I need the pro version.

It includes all the features of Windows 8 plus features required by tech enthusiasts and business/technical professionals. Specifically, Windows 8 Pro will include features like BitLocker and BitLocker To Go, support for Boot from VHD, Client Hyper-V, Domain Join, Encrypting File System, Group Policy, and Remote Desktop (host). Windows Media Center though supported, will be available as a separate add-on.

http://pureinfotech.com/2012/04/17/windows-8-vs-windows-8-pro-vs-windows-rt-vs-windows-8-enterprise-feature-by-feature/