Should I Wait Before Buying?

Sahand75

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Hey guys. I'll keep this short and simple. I plan on building a $2000 gaming PC this summer (possibly next week or two). Is there anything major that is coming out soon? I want to make sure that I get the best parts and don't want to buy a PC just as a brand new GPU comes out that is much better compared to what I bought. Thanks!

Solution
Intels new processors wont be out for a bit, their refreshes are coming out now.
Nvidias cards arent slated until next year. I would build now.

Sahand75

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Do you think it would be better to wait till then? I know Intel has new processors coming out soon but I don't know if waiting will be worth the wait.

leeb2013

Honorable
it's tricky, there's always something new coming soon. But there hasn't been so many big leaps recently and when there is eg. DDR4, you can bet you'll pay for it (despite no indication that current memory is a limitation). Sandy Bridge CPUs are still perfectly fine.

I think most of the next steps will be reducing power, eg. Maxwell GPUs and future Intel CPUs (particularly as AMD aren't pushing high end CPU performance now), rather than big steps in performance.

I'd just buy now, get LGA1150 mobo and I5 (if overclocking) or Xeon (if not) and decent GPU, eg. 780 or R9-290(x).