Should I wait between flipping a PSU switch on and off?

Oct 14, 2018
Wondering if it matters or if it will damage the computer if I turn the switch on and off without waiting long enough. I heard its bad if the power goes off and on too fast because of power failure while the computer is on, but does it matter if the computer is not running while only the PSU on?

Why would you WANT to be flipping the PSU power switch on and off rapidly enough for it to be a concern? There is absolutely no reason I can think of for wanting to do that, so I'm interested in knowing your reasoning behind it.

The fact is, that switch should rarely be used at all. It's not necessary except when adding or removing hardware, or when resetting the trip protections inside the unit. Possibly when doing a CMOS battery removal reset as well. Other than that, there is no reason to ever even mess with it.

There is absolutely no need to touch the PSU's rocker switch after shutting down your PC in normal day-to-day use.

Heck, I don't even shut down my PC unless I'm going to be away from home for a few days. I just drop it in to sleep mode from the keyboard so it's instantly ready to use the next day.

The PSU rocker switch is only used when I want to venture inside the case for upgrading or troubleshooting purposes.

TRENDING THREADS