Should I wait for 3rd gen ryzen?

Peperuna

Honorable
Jun 18, 2017
So I'm going to upgrade my pc very soon, was thinking about buying a msi b450 gaming+ board, 2x4gb of 2666mhz ram and a ryzen 5 2600, but recently i read that the 3rd gen ryzen cpus are gona be launched at the start of next year (correct me if I'm wrong). So should i just buy the r5 2600 now or buy a cheap r3 1200 and get by untill the r5 3k series is realeased and then try and sell the old r3 cpu. And if I do the r3 option isn't the b450 motherboard gonna be compatible with the 3rd gen ryzens with just a bios update?

There are rumors that the 3rd gen ryzens are getting a bigger performance jump (7nm arc, more cores, more effiecent and higher clockspeeds) compared to the 2nd gen when realeased. So thats why i was wondering if the r3 "getting by" option is vayable and worth it. And I will be just playing like csgo, r6 siege and maybe overwatch so the r3 will be enough for the wait.

And my current pc isn't functional because i allready went and sold the old components, so waiting and not buying anything isn't a option for me, because i can't be without a pc for that long. :lol:

Solution
It depends for me on how long you can wait. If the leaked sheets are to be believed I'd wait. While the step up from 1600 to 2600 wasn't massive, it was enough (for me) to justify the few extra dollars.

If you can't wait then I'd buy the 2600. The prices on them are fantastic right now. Buying r3 as short term fix doesn't make much sense considering the very small price difference between it and the 2600,

Jim.

drawingpin

Reputable
Dec 5, 2016
It depends for me on how long you can wait. If the leaked sheets are to be believed I'd wait. While the step up from 1600 to 2600 wasn't massive, it was enough (for me) to justify the few extra dollars.

If you can't wait then I'd buy the 2600. The prices on them are fantastic right now. Buying r3 as short term fix doesn't make much sense considering the very small price difference between it and the 2600,

Jim.

Solution

Peperuna

Honorable
Jun 18, 2017

Here where i live the ryzen 3 1200 costs 87 euros and r5 2600 costs 175 euros. I'm on a quite tight of a budget (at the moment) so thats a lot of money for me. So if i buy the r5 2600 i wont be upgrading it any time soon.

Peperuna

Honorable
Jun 18, 2017

Well i cant wait, so i was wondering if the ryzen 3 option would be smart untill the new gen is released.

My friend has the ryzen 3 200g and he loves it. I’d recommend, as long as you have fast ram.

Peperuna

Honorable
Jun 18, 2017

Decided to go this route and buy the r5 2600 now, becuase the new 3rd gen cpus are going to be much more further away than i tought (almost half a year) by looking at their older ryzen cpus release dates and a couple of videos. Maybe i will upgrade to the 3rd gen in the next winter so that i get the probably last am4 compatible cpu, so that i dont have to go and buy a new motherboard again. And then keep the 3rd gen cpu for a longer time. Thanks for all the replys! :D