Should I wait for Amd Ryzen 3?

Primedecision,

Extremely little is known about the Ryzen 3 series, other than they will be 4-core and will released in the 2nd half of 2017- a minimum of three months. So, depending on the current system performance, your schedule, use, and budget, it may or may not be worth waiting.

What is your current system, what are you doing on it, how much do you want to improve performance, and how much are you prepared to spend?

The i3-7100 is 2-core, non-hyperthreading @ 3.9GHz and includes Intel HD630. At the Intel recommended price of $117, it's very inexpensive. The Passmark CPU rating is 5967, the Single Thread Mark is 2231- edging toward the top tier, and the HP630 is really quite good, though not for gaming.

For a basic system: streaming, word processing, FacePoop, gargle, some basic photo editing / desktop publishing, and so on, it would be a very economical way to go. With the right motherboard, RAM, and GPU, it may well be a goer for some kinds of games- check the threading of the particular game- and some very single threaded 2D and 3D workstation applications. Some games are vast- and the memory bandwidth and distributed processes need a quad-core.

If the requirements are higher, but the budget is not, have a look at various used systems with quad core i5's and i7's. About $400 will go a long way. An exhaustive 2-minutes of searching found:

Dell OptiPlex 9020 Mini Tower w/ Core i7-4790 @ 3.60Ghz 4GB NO HD WIn8 - GRADE A > Sold for $213 1 Feb 17

The i7-4790: 4-core @ 3.6 /4.0GHz Passmark CPU= 10000 / Single Thread = 2285

Add to the above system: +4Gb of RAM, a GTX 750Ti, a $75 SSD, a WD Blue 1TB ($50)

Cheers,

BambiBoom

uguv

Distinguished

You made good points, but I just wanted to correct this - the i3-7100 is a 2 core, 4 thread CPU.