[SOLVED] Should I wait for Ampere or RDNA2?

iSteven_6s

Prominent
Jun 23, 2019
I’m currently rocking a GTX 1060 6gb. I want to buy a used RTX 2070 ($350), but the rumors say Nvidia Ampere, Intel XE, and AMD RDNA2 are launching in mid 2020, so should I wait for that...?

Solution
Fellas above have answered you perfectly. Still, let me play the broken record. Are you happy with the 1060 ? What is your performance expectation vs what you are getting? If you are satisfied, then you can wait. If you are not, then go for a new product. Tech advances so fast these days. In the same year Nvidia came up with two different tiers of GPUs on the same architecture. So no matter what you buy, there will be a better product couple days later.
To answer your question, both the Ampere and RDNA2 will be significant bump from the respective current gens. RDNA2 will be moving to 7nm+ from RDNA 7nm. Ampere will be jumping to 7nm from 12nm Turing. Look at what AMD achieved from jumping to 7nm with a new architecture. Nvidia with...
I’m currently rocking a GTX 1060 6gb. I want to buy a used RTX 2070 ($350), but the rumors say Nvidia Ampere, Intel XE, and AMD RDNA2 are launching in mid 2020, so should I wait for that...?

then ask yourself this: did your current card cannot provide you the performance you want right now? if no then maybe it is better waiting. if yes just take that 2070 is you have the money for it. the jump to 2070 from 1060 is still quite significant one.

If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.
If you have a need/want now, buy now.

A used card from a reputable seller is, I think, a good thing.
A rtx2070 is a nice jump in capability.

Whatever you buy used, you should be able to sell used if in the future you want more.
I expect the new cards to be highly priced if they increase the top performance level .

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
Fellas above have answered you perfectly. Still, let me play the broken record. Are you happy with the 1060 ? What is your performance expectation vs what you are getting? If you are satisfied, then you can wait. If you are not, then go for a new product. Tech advances so fast these days. In the same year Nvidia came up with two different tiers of GPUs on the same architecture. So no matter what you buy, there will be a better product couple days later.
To answer your question, both the Ampere and RDNA2 will be significant bump from the respective current gens. RDNA2 will be moving to 7nm+ from RDNA 7nm. Ampere will be jumping to 7nm from 12nm Turing. Look at what AMD achieved from jumping to 7nm with a new architecture. Nvidia with it's superior compression and codecs, pretty noticeable upgrade is expected, specially in the ray tracing department.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS