Should I wait for Coffee lake or buy a Kaby Lake

caleb547

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017
I have recently gathered enough money to upgrade my CPU, cooler, Mother Board, and RAM, and I was planning on buying a Intel i5 7600K, however the coffee lake 8th Generation were very recently announced. I was wondering whether I should wait for the coffee lake CPUs that are supposed to come out in the second half of this year (When I will have more money also), or should I get a Kaby Lake now?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Solution
There will always be something better coming, unless it's very close it's not worth worrying about. I built a 6700K based PC just before the 7 series was announced, am I upset about it? not at all. So I could have spent slightly more to have a tiny % advantage in benchmarks and play all the same games at the same settings if I'd waited a couple months, big deal. I'd say the fun you have with a new machine in the mean time more than makes up for any differences in performance between generations.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
There will always be something better coming, unless it's very close it's not worth worrying about. I built a 6700K based PC just before the 7 series was announced, am I upset about it? not at all. So I could have spent slightly more to have a tiny % advantage in benchmarks and play all the same games at the same settings if I'd waited a couple months, big deal. I'd say the fun you have with a new machine in the mean time more than makes up for any differences in performance between generations.

Solution

Jamie_69

Respectable
Dec 20, 2016

That still doesn't mean it will arrive for desktops this year.

caleb547

Commendable
Jan 4, 2017

I know that Amd is releasing Ryzen, but I would prefer to go with Intel