Should I wait for new AMD releases??

Jan 12, 2019
Hello

So I'm planning on building a new PC for a while now (like 2 years) and I have been carefully picking out parts I want. I have came up with that:
-MSI B450
-Ryzen 5 2600
-RX 580 8gb
-16 gb ram...

This is pretty much my budget. But now having seen the new leaks and confirmations by AMD at CES I started wondering if I should wait for their new GPUs and CPUs (with approximately same pricing). Is it really worth waiting?? I'm attending to play present and future big games (BF1, GTA5, RDR2...) at 1080p at whatever setting with stable FPS. Being stuck with 10 years old PC I would like to replace it as soon as possible, that's why I'm wondering if I will get significantly more performance for the money if I wait.

I would also know if I could somehow improve the build and how future proof it is (how long is it going to be able to keep up with newest games).

Thanks

Solution
Hi ;)

You have put together a great selection of parts for a budget mid range PC.

I will try to help as best I can:

How futureproof is the build?
It really depends on what your expectations are, if you want to game at 1080p 60FPS then that setup is good for quite a while before you would need to upgrade the gpu OR be satisfied with playing the latest future games at lower quality settings. In that build the gpu would become the weak link over time, not so much the cpu. The RX 580 is a great card for the money & very capable in 1080p for another 2 years (will need to turn down quality settings a bit as time progresses the same with any gpu)

Can I improve the build?
PCs can always be improved ;)
Again, it really depends on your...

mgallo848

Commendable
I pretty much wouldn't listen to anything Nvidia's CEO has to say. Even if the new AMD GPU is amazing I'm sure he would find fault with it.

I have an RTX 2080 in my main system and an RX 580 in my backup (with a Freesync monitor). He also stated that Freesync "just doesn't work". I can tell you from first-hand experience, he's either a complete liar or he's completely clueless about Freesync.

Jan 12, 2019
This is just the battle of enemies (if said so). I also agree with what you said about the Nvidia CEO. Freesync is also one of the reasons I am going with AMD. So is it worth the wait, because I'm not intense gamer or will this setup work for nex 5 years or so? What is your opinion?

mgallo848

Commendable
As much as I like the RX 580 and the GTX 1060, I can't say for certain that they will last 5 years. Impossible to say what the future will bring but if I had to take an educated guess I would say an RX 580 with a freesync monitor at 1080 resolution should last you close to five years

tiaan_strauss

Proper
Jan 12, 2019
Hi ;)

You have put together a great selection of parts for a budget mid range PC.

I will try to help as best I can:

How futureproof is the build?
It really depends on what your expectations are, if you want to game at 1080p 60FPS then that setup is good for quite a while before you would need to upgrade the gpu OR be satisfied with playing the latest future games at lower quality settings. In that build the gpu would become the weak link over time, not so much the cpu. The RX 580 is a great card for the money & very capable in 1080p for another 2 years (will need to turn down quality settings a bit as time progresses the same with any gpu)

Can I improve the build?
PCs can always be improved ;)
Again, it really depends on your expectations & budget, but to be honest I would probably stick with the specs you have outlined, like I said - its a great all round balanced build. The only tip I would give you is to purchase the 16GB RAM at 3000Mhz speed. With Ryzen higher clocked RAM has a substantial impact on performance & 3000Mhz is the sweet spot for most people. It is very easy for newcomers to get wrapped up in 'whats the best of the best, is this good enough' etc be careful of that & build a PC according to your own needs or the price can skyrocket very quickly.

Should I wait for new GPUs / CPUs?
One thing to remember is that in the PC world there is ALWAYS new tech around the corner & this never changes. There will always be new CPUs & GPUs each year & if we all just waited for the next tech to arrive we would never actually end up building our PCs. If you have a 1080p 60Hz monitor for example, even if you get the best gpu on the market you will still only see 60fps as the monitor caps the refresh rate. You need to buy your GPU according to what resolution & refresh rate you want to game on. For 1080p 60Hz rhe RX 580 is perfect & nothing more is needed.

New AMD GPUs: yes, they will be faster, but are you willing to wait another 5 months, is a 10-20% performance boost worth it, does your monitor even support a refresh rate higher than 60Hz for you to utilise that extra performance etc these are all questions you need to ask. Remember, you can always sell your GPU in a year or two from now & buy a newer version.

CPUs: yes, they will be faster, are you willing to wait 5 months, is the performance boost worth it, will you actually utilise that extra performance in heavy workload tasks such as content creation, productivity, streaming etc or are you just a gamer & general pc user.

I can assure you that the new AMD technology will be more expensive than the current prices of RX 580 & Ryzen 2600 theres no way getting around that.

Would I build the pc right now & start gaming immediately?
Hell yes, without a doubt I would. Ive been building PCs way too long to wait for 5 months before new tech arrives & ive learned that waiting for new tech provides performance inprovements that you mostly dont realise unless you have hardware monitoring programmes running showing you figures.

Ive had an RX 580, GTX 1070 &now have an RTX 2070. The only reason I upgraded was because I bought a 1440p 144hz monitor. If I had a 1080p monitor I would have stuck with the RX 580. I also have a Ryzen 2600 & for the price its a great CPU, I have no complaints.

Build the PC, enjoy it & start gaming ;)

Best of luck

Solution
Jan 12, 2019
Hi

First of all I would thank you for such helpful and explanatory advice.

As you mentioned I know that I will have to turn down settings, but I'm tottaly OK with that just so the game runs smooth. If I'm honest most new games look amazing even at lowest settings (at least to me), because after last 5 years of gaming on a 2008 PC, I got pretty much used to the worst (lowest settings, damn lag spikes, flawless 20 FPS and no recent games). That means anything would be a major upgrade.

Next you mentioned RAM. This is actually my first time building a PC and I invested a lot of time into research so I wouldn't screw up or run into incompatibility issues. I read a lot of forums like that and I actually selected Corsair Vengance 16gb kit at 3000mhz.

On the next point I completely agree. There is always something new in the world of tech. Now that you made so many solid statements, I see my idea of waiting useless. Besides that I'm already hesitating to buy the damn parts for a while and I'm getting more and more impatient and eager to get it. And it never crossed my mind that if I want to upgrade I can alway sell the hardware I want to replace.

You completely persuaded me and I'm ordering parts as soon as possible, because I have been waiting for too long already. Also at the release of AMD stuff, prices are gonna be pumped up, and even if they are going to be as great as leaks claim, it's better to wait for prices to settle in before upgrading. To top it of, me being such a simple and non demanding gamer, It really wouldn't make sense to wait that long and pay higher prices for a tad better performance.

Again, thanks for such a brilliant advice.

Have a nice day

tiaan_strauss

Proper
Jan 12, 2019

Thats cool man :)