[SOLVED] Should I wait for Nvidia 5000 series?

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hi, guys so last year I bought RTX 3080 10GB and it's been superb for me but as you all know that nothing is future-proof in the tech world.
So with Nvidia releasing 4000 series later this year do you guys think that I should go for RTX 4080 or wait for RTX 5000 series.

I am currently using a 1440p 144hz monitor the only reason i am asking this is because of the 10GB Vram because with 4000 series games devs will be able to go past 8GB Vram and future games will be more Vram demanding

Need your thoughts on this

Solution
Nice flex....

Typically, an upgrade would be considered in light of the current equipment being unable to perform to an acceptable level. Seriously cannot imagine any use scenario that would currently make an RTX 3080 outmoded or obsolete even on the cutting edge unless you are just claiming frames for bragging rights. In that case, if you have the disposable cash to throw at this merely for the saying you have it, you gotta do what makes you happy with your monies.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Nice flex....

Typically, an upgrade would be considered in light of the current equipment being unable to perform to an acceptable level. Seriously cannot imagine any use scenario that would currently make an RTX 3080 outmoded or obsolete even on the cutting edge unless you are just claiming frames for bragging rights. In that case, if you have the disposable cash to throw at this merely for the saying you have it, you gotta do what makes you happy with your monies.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, guys so last year I bought RTX 3080 10GB and it's been superb for me but as you all know that nothing is future-proof in the tech world.
So with Nvidia releasing 4000 series later this year do you guys think that I should go for RTX 4080 or wait for RTX 5000 series.

I am currently using a 1440p 144hz monitor the only reason i am asking this is because of the 10GB Vram because with 4000 series games devs will be able to go past 8GB Vram and future games will be more Vram demanding

Need your thoughts on this
You should buy a new one when the current one no longer does what you need.

In the context of having a current 3080, I can't imagine what that might be. Not for quite a while.

jasonf2

Distinguished
The other thing to take into consideration is that graphics performance isn't only tied to the GPU. The high flagship series Nvidia cards are maxing about any HEDT CPU today. So depending on what CPU you have there is a pretty good chance that with a 3080 class card you would need a CPU upgrade to see any significant gains by the time the 5000 series arrives. Not guaranteed but if NVidia holds to its typical upgrade cycle the 4000 series cards will probably bump the series performance by one level, IE the 4080 will perform on the level that the 3090 card is playing. So look twards what your rig would do with a 3090 if it were installed today and you will maybe get an ideal of a 4080. Again that is really rough and some Nvidia card cycles are way better than others.