Question Should i wait for pci 4.0, do i need it.

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
my video card took a crap, dont want to add parts to a old machine, right now im using integrated graphics, i can suffice on that for a couple months. But i do want to build a whole new system.

i know the new ryzen 3 is coming out with pci 4.0 support. since i expect to have this new system for at least 5 years. (last two builds lasted 6 or 7) should i hold up my build for pcie 4.0 . i plan to buy a new card next year. will i regret not having a motherboard that uses pcie 4.0? ive heard someone say current 3.0 has all the lanes we can use atm, or speed or what not, is that true?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
gpu's don't fully use the 3.0 out now. very unlikely they will advance to the point 4.0 is needed in the next few years. think about how long 3.0 has been out and it's not fully used even now.

honestly i'd not worry about it and just get what you need now and upgrade years from now when it is time again. there is ALWAYS something new on the horizon and if you're always waiting you'll never get to enjoy what's out now. don't overthink it and get what you can now and enjoy it :D

you'll not miss pcie 4.0 in the next few years.