[SOLVED] Should I wait for RTX 30 Series Cards?

Feb 22, 2020
I am planning to build a PC Soon and have chosen RTX 2070 Super and Ryzen 5 3600 as ny GPU and CPU respectively.

But I am bit sceptical of building it right now as I've got the news that RTX 30 Series cards are just about to be released and It'll be a massive upgrade over it's preceding series.

So My Question is should I be waiting for new GPU or get my Rig built with Current Gen GPU?

Solution
For 1080p gaming, there is absolutely no reason or need to wait for future card models. Current card models offer MORE than sufficient, overkill in fact, capability for 1080p Ultra gaming. An RTX 2060 Super, or in truth even a GTX 1660 ti for that matter, offers plenty of GPU power for 1080p gaming but if you want to play it safe then the RTX 2060 Super or RTX 2070, either one give you some degree of 1080p future proofing for an assumed increase in GPU performance requirements on future titles but perhaps of greater importance is likely the CPU.

Since 144hz gaming is in the cards, which means a desire to track as closely to 144FPS gaming as possible, you are going to want a very capable processor if you tend to play any games that are...
Depends on how soon you want to built this. The Ampere consumer cards are supposed to start releasing in June. If you don't need to build now, and don't mind paying an initial premium PLUS if you recognize the fact that generally speaking only the Founders edition cards are likely to be out in June with aftermarket board partner models likely not coming for many weeks after that, then sure, wait.

Otherwise, get what you need and get on with life.

What resolution and settings are you expecting to run with?

For 1080p gaming, there is absolutely no reason or need to wait for future card models. Current card models offer MORE than sufficient, overkill in fact, capability for 1080p Ultra gaming. An RTX 2060 Super, or in truth even a GTX 1660 ti for that matter, offers plenty of GPU power for 1080p gaming but if you want to play it safe then the RTX 2060 Super or RTX 2070, either one give you some degree of 1080p future proofing for an assumed increase in GPU performance requirements on future titles but perhaps of greater importance is likely the CPU.

Since 144hz gaming is in the cards, which means a desire to track as closely to 144FPS gaming as possible, you are going to want a very capable processor if you tend to play any games that are fairly demanding, especially those that are highly CPU bound. If you have a less capable CPU it really isn't going to matter what graphics card you have, you could have a 3080 ti and if your CPU isn't capable of providing the required FPS to adhere closely to your 144FPS target, you're going to be disappointed.

If you play potato type games, then great, that CPU is terrific and even for middle of the road performance requirements it's very good, but if you play harder stuff or things that get very CPU intensive in hairy situations, you are going to want to likely move up to the 3700x, or at least the 3600x, and no matter what you pick or decide to go with you will absolutely want a good aftermarket cooling solution. The Wraith coolers are not going to offer you the kind of cooling performance that allows your CPU to take full advantage of it's peak or all core boost profiles, plus the harmonics of the stock cooler really sucks IMO.

Solution