[SOLVED] should i wait for ryzen 3 to come out?

cowboy5345

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
i know this question has been probley asked half a dozen times but i literally just bought a new ryzen build/upgrade, 2600x, ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 and 16 gb ddr4 G.skill flare x and not even a day later my freind told me ryzen 3000 was right around the corner and i saw that the 3600x was getting a huge boost compared to the 2600x. my main question is should i just return the 2600x and wait it out or is there still too much unknown because i hate to build this system and turns out around in a month or two i could of gotten a cpu for the same price thats much better.I do have a month to return the cpu for pretty much any reason butt any advice on this would be great and helpful

WildCard999

Titan
Can you wait until 3rd gen Ryzen comes out?

If you always wait for the "next best thing" you'll never get anything. Personally I wouldn't bother with the X versions, XFR auto overclocks and gets my 2600 at the very least to 3.9ghz on all cores but it does spike up to 4.3ghz on all cores when needed.

cowboy5345

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

it would be one thing if this was like a 10% boost i wouldn't worry bout it at all but what it seems like is that they are adding two more cores and a lot more clock speed for the same price

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Right now, any details about the 3000 series processors amounts to nothing more than rumors, and leaks that may or may not be fake.

If you hadn't already bought any new stuff, and were able to keep going with a previous machine, then you should.

BUT - since you've already specced out parts and bought them, use them. I would assume it's going to be AT LEAST six months before the Ryzen 3000 series comes out. "Right around the corner..." sounds more like wishful thinking, or exaggerating the info obtained from a rumor/leak.

I mean, do you absolutely, positively HAVE to have the latest, most recent stuff?

WildCard999

Titan

Still rumors, well see when they are released and benchmarked. If I where you I'd keep the motherboard and memory, return the 2600x and buy a 1600 for cheap for now as a placeholder for 3rd gen. This way you'll have something decent until it's released.... but then there's always 4th gen! :D

cowboy5345

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

ya i have most of the parts sitting on a desk just waiting for the motherboard and the system im using right now is on its last legs it amazes my friends how its still even running but im might of over reacted because i just dident want to feel like i was losing out its been almost 5 years since my since last major upgrade/build

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Keep it, use it, don't worry about what comes next. It's not like the 2600X is going to suddenly be too slow for games just because a new one comes out - and the current rumour is maybe Q3 next year so at least 6 months away. Also I'm very sceptical about the core counts in the current rumours, as is Toms on the article they wrote about it.

Almost anyone who ever built a PC could have waited 6 months and got something newer

v12vantage

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
So far, all we have are rumours and whilst i'm sure it'll be a leap in performance you may as well stick with what you have, and if you do want to upgrade it when the time comes you can update the BIOS using your current processor before swapping it out. As your motherboard will need it's BIOS updated before it will be compatible, Then, you could sell your 2600x. The "Zen 2" processors (Ryzen 3000) series shouldn't require a new motherboard or RAM from what we are hearing, as AMD announced themselves that they are supporting AM4 until 2020!

cowboy5345

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

thanks for posting this article helped a lot

TRENDING THREADS