Question Should i wait for Ryzen 3rd Gen and Navi GPU?

Sangeeth Sivan

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2015
I was thinking about building a new gaming pc for myself. I was thinking about getting an i7 8700k with RTX 2060 or 1660ti. But i just got to know that Ryzen 3rd Gen and Navi GPU will most likely to launch July, which is just 3 months away. I've never had a AMD rig in my life, it was all intel+nvidia everytime.Should i wait for the next Gen AMD CPU and GPU or what should i do?

forwardyt22

Prominent
Jul 1, 2018
I would suggest going for ryzen if your doing any multi tasking such as streaming, editing etc. however games are now supporting multi threading much better. Intel has always been better at single threading. However I would advise to do wait for navi gpus as they are supposed to beat lower ended RYX cards (2060,70) by a long shot (or so the benchmarks say) if you can afford one I would highly wait for them to release.

I was thinking about building a new gaming pc for myself. I was thinking about getting an i7 8700k with RTX 2060 or 1660ti. But i just got to know that Ryzen 3rd Gen and Navi GPU will most likely to launch July, which is just 3 months away. I've never had a AMD rig in my life, it was all intel+nvidia everytime.Should i wait for the next Gen AMD CPU and GPU or what should i do?
What do you have now ?

My usual suggestion is if you have a need now, buy now.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever.

Nobody really knows what amd or Intel will bring several months from now.
No doubt new products will have a better price/performance than the old.
(or why introduce them at all?)

4690K is still a very capable processor, particularly if you are able to overclock.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you think you need a faster core speed or more threads, I would point more to the 6 core i5-9600K. It uses a soldered heat spreader and will OC to perhaps 5.0.

If you are more graphics limited, you can go ahead and buy a RTX2060 or GTX1660ti.
Either will be a nice upgrade