Should I wait for the 2080 Ti to be released for my next new build or should I get it now with a 1080 Ti?

PakOne

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Hi, I want to get a new build with an i7, 16GB of RAM, an NVMe SSD and a graphics card but I don't know if it's worth waiting for the 2080 Ti to be released or get my new build now with a 1080 Ti.

I don't mind spending more money for getting a 2080 Ti if it's woth it as I'm getting a new build and I have the money right now.

As I said right now I have the money but I'm not sure about if I'll still have it when the 2080 Ti is released and available for purchase.

I'm not interested in Raytracing, I would only get the 2080 Ti for the performance improvement.

Also, what about the processor, should i get an i9 or an i7 is enough?

I want to play games at 4K 60Hz with the settings as high as possible, I'm happy with the settings at high for example, I play all kinds of games. I also want to play VR games with the Oculus Rift.

Thank you.

Solution
Reviews for the 2080 and 2080 Ti should be coming out next week, so it's probably worth waiting a bit to see how performance compares, even if they may be in short supply for some time following launch.

ikaz

Distinguished
You may want to look into eVGA cards setup up program, once they open up the program for the RTX's you could buy a 1080 ti then step up to a RTX 2090 ti, I believe you have to pay the shipping and the difference in prince.

If money isn't an object then I guess it doesn't really matter what you do. For me spending double (you'll be lucky to find it at MSRP for at least 6mo IMO) on a 2080ti for a possible 30-40% increase (according to vapour, which I find questionable since no one has reviewed it yet) doesn't seem worth it to me. If I had 3-4 grand to blow on a PC I suppose I might consider it, but not likely.

/speculative tangent
Really the only thing I find interesting about the 20* series is RTX. There is a lot of possibility there. But I think I'll wait till the 21* (hopefully they don't go 30*) as there will be more games that support it and it will be more evolved and capable than it is today. Also I'm curious to see how AMD handles that evolution. IIRC when nV started integrating physics on to their cards AMD did a better job of it. RTX is a different beast but we just wont know till we see it.

Of course they'll go to 30 (or something else entirely). The whole point in changing the first number is to keep the model numbers sounding distinctive, and changing the second number wouldn't really do that.

Of course, by the time that next generation of cards comes out, AMD might be more competitive again, and Intel should be making their way into the graphics card market as well.

May 1, 2018

You could purchase from microcenter or other sources where they have a return policy. Buy an 1080Ti now and return it within 30 days, the 2080Ti should be released at that time.